How many sites out there are using Linux?

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
I'd like to have a rough idea as to what percentage of all JDE installations run on Linux backend (Enterprise/Logic Servers only - not if it's purely a DB Server).

If you have multiple Logic/Batch/Enterprise Servers running different platforms, please select multiple boxes.

This would provide counts for different platforms as well, as a bonus. If you have, as an example, 3 Windows and 1 Linux - please check Windows and Linux. I don't see a way to get proper counts - in the example above this would appear as 1 of each, but it's still interesting.

On the other hand, if you wish to vote for multiple clients with different platforms, please check if you can submit multiple votes, because otherwise your vote can distort the overall picture.

This poll completely disregards your database type. Maybe it's going to be in an another poll ;-)

I am hoping the results of this poll may be of interest to others as well. This poll is limited in time for 1 month only.

Why are the percentages only totalling 33.99%? Is there something I'm not getting?

Hi Janice!

It's a little hard to see, but there is a slight separation between the number of votes and the percentage. So (as of 8:20 AM PST, 12/19/07), we have 16 votes for Windows, good for 47%, and so on.

What concerns me is that the percentages are only adding up to 96% total, so somebody's rounding routine isn't working too well ...
blush.gif

Hey, Ken!

OK...color me stupid. I thought the space was an implied decimal point.

Merry Christmas to you and all the folks at Profit Concepts.

It's already beginning to look interesting, for instance:

1) Wintel beats AS/400 - this was not the case some years back;

2) Linux beats all other U#@x brands - again, this is a recent development (Linux has only been supported for what? a couple of years now?)

If you haven't voted yet, please do!

If you haven't voted yet, please do - the results will be very interesting to everyone!

Happy New Year to everyone!

I'd like to emphasize that this poll is not just for the Linux users, but for every JDE site. And its results will be of significant practical interest to all existing users as well as newcomers and even to Oracle.

This poll will be open for another two weeks, please keep voting.

Please, use this opportunity to provide your valuable feedback for the benefit of all of us.

[ QUOTE ]
practical interest to all existing users as well as newcomers and even to Oracle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that Oracle knows how many sites for each platform they have based on licensing (together with number of users and unlimited licenses). At least they have a rough idea - but they choose not to publish those figures....

You'd be surprised to know then, that as a matter of fact I have received an expression of interest in the results of this poll directly from Oracle.

I don't think licensing mentions the platform(s) anywhere, so the use of platforms is not really accounted for with any degree of precision.

A few rough ideas would always be better than one ;-)

For those of us who consult at several different clients, would you like us to vote multiple times according to the platforms at our various clients?

Yes, please. But:

1) You will need to account for all your clients in some consistent way, not just for some of them and not just for some of their platforms, plus

2) Submit these details in multiple votes as necessary (I would guess that deleting your JDEList cookie or using a different PC should allow you to vote again).

OK. So far I've covered my lab installations. I haven't put any of my client installations yet. I've got them all documented though. Maybe it would be easier to submit a count, and you can add that into the data later?

I will be happy to submit such votes myself - please, e-mail me what you want submitted and I'll do it on your behalf. Thanks!

Thanks! Will do. I can't seem to vote again on my own. It must be tied to the user ID that's logged in.

Even after discussing our options with Eric Kempter, we could find no way to submit multiple votes, so I'll post the final numbers here at the end of this voting, which would include anything e-mailed to me on top of these results.

And maybe create a separate vote on my site in the future for things like this...

Plus, maybe you could ask your customers to submit votes for their respective sites?

Many thanks to all who voted!

The final numbers stand as follows (this includes the numbers sent to me outside of this vote):

Windows / Intel
########################################################### 44%

IBM AS/400
###################################################### 40%

IBM AIX
###### 4%

HP HP-UX
###### 4%

Sun Solaris
#### 3%

Linux / Intel
####### 5%

Unfortunately, there were many fewer votes than I expected, yet overall, this vote likely gives a picture reasonably close to reality.

Main outcomes are:
- AS/400 is becoming less popular;
- Windows/Intel is the leader now;
- Linux is gaining momentum.

And now, we can turn this thread into a (heated ;-) discussion about why would you chose Linux as your platform?

- Because it's free? - but the required RHEL is quite expensive;
- Because it runs faster or has more features? - I doubt it;
- Because it's more stable than Windows or is easier to maintain? - likely not true;
- Because it's open source? - but what does it matter?

Anyway, whether you comment on this on not, I hope you found the results of this vote interesting!

For those of you interested in the raw numbers (sorted by magnitude):

<ul type="square"> 59, 43.38% - Windows / Intel
54, 39.71% - IBM AS/400
7, 5.15% - Linux / Intel
6, 4.41% - IBM AIX
6, 4.41% - HP HP-UX
4, 2.94% - Sun Solaris
----------------------------
136 Total[/list]

Yes, I took the time to count all the # signs
grin.gif

I know that for me, about 80% of my AS/400 installations happened before 2004, and I have had exactly 3 new AS/400 installations (not upgrades from previous OneWorld) since 2002, and those were migrations from World. The brand new, never seen JD Edwards before, installations of E1 are mostly going the Intel route (Windows or Linux). Of course, this could just reflect the clients we happened to get ...

It'd be interesting to hear from others out there in the consulting community, like Jon (altquark)?

Back