Bulk user account creation

Chris Polston

Hello all, this is a question that bugged me for years now. I have researched it here and on the KG, and tried my own experiments, with no positive results. I hope someone here can offer some insight.

Say you have a list of user accounts for E1- 1000 new users. How can they be loaded into the system without someone sitting down and chugging through the P0092 and P98OWSEC to create the accounts and security record? Yes, copying an existing account can save some work, but you still need to type in Name and Address Book Number and copy a security record. I keep going back to an Import or INSERT into the F0092, F95921 and F98OWSEC, but all my attempts result in accounts that cannot log in. Any ideas?

The copy used to work with the old (pre-SP22) password encoding, not anymore.

You can [re-]set passwords from a [generated] script, using as an example our command-line "JDE Change Password" tool, after populating the tables through SQL, like you do it now.

Look in the downloads section on this site for "JXMLSec". There is a big payoff if you build it per the instructions. With that tool as the password reset facility, you can use a SQL loader to create the accounts and then reset batches of passwords (or all user passwords at once) by feeding the tool a populated file.

Chris, I have worked on a team to automate account creation for both World and OneWorld XE (we're coexistent). At 20,000 feet, we automated the process of requesting access, approving the request, and implementing all security.

To automate the creation of the user profile in OneWorld, we wrote a series of RPG and CL programs on our AS/400 to create the hard objects (AS/400 profile, message queue etc) and populate the F0092 and F00950 tables. We then execute a UBE on the server to create the F98OWSEC record. The UBE reads a user record from a custom table that contains the user id and password then executes the P98OWSECUpdateRecords function (B9801000) to create the record in the F98OWSEC file.

I suspect that it would not be difficult to iterate through a "feeder" table to run this business function repeatedly.

This may help you. It is basically a set of SQL store procedures and various instructions we used to create a bunch of accounts under our XE environment via an iSeries. It at least will cover the tables you need to update. You may have to modify the SQL procedures. Please note, these procedures got us 99% of what we were after, we still had to tweak a few things. Also, we had implemented our own custom security scheme based on various groups a user could be part of.

Hope it helps, Jay

Attachments

• 128169-OneWorld Bulk User Account Creation.doc
    85 KB · Views: 653
Back