Alternative Pathcodes work on Fat Client...

max_xx

Well Known Member
Hi,

I've got this strange problem.

Suppose we have 2 full packages DV and PY.
DV is installed properly and working perfectly on the fat client. Now I want to install PY.

During the installation of the PY full package, if I don't rename the installed DV Package directory than the spec files of the DV package gets deleted. If I rename the directory name, than during installation, it detaches the spec files of DV from the MSDE and than tries to attach it again. But since the directory name is changed, it is not able to attach it back again. I found out this from the SQL Logs that are created during the installation.

The only solution to this seems to be the use of 'SNAPSHOTS'.
But I don't want to use snapshots as its not the solution but just an alternative.

The other alternative is to manually attach the spec files by the attach scripts, once the installation gets over.

Any other alternative as its running the attach scripts or working with snapshots isn't the right solution.

I am installing the Full packages from a T'th Deployment Server.

I have attached the jde.log file for your reference.

We are on 8.12,
TR- 8.96.20
DB - Oracle 10g

Thanks a lot in advance.

Warm Regards,
Irfan Polra

Attachments

• 127808-jde_log.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 88
Hi Irfan,

This is a bug on the setup.exe found on "OneWorld Client Install" folder. This bug affected to tools release 8.96.1.4, 8.96.1.5, 8.96.2.0, 8.96.2.1 and is supposedly fixed in 8.96.2.2 (i haven't tested it).

There are 3 solutions to this issue:
1. If coming from a TR prior to 8.96.1.4 and have a backup of this folder prior to upgrade, just overwrite the setup.exe.
2. Apply TR 8.96.2.2
3. Hardway is doing it manually by detaching/attaching the spec files and copying the required folders in the deployment server (search it on this forum it has already been posted.)

See SAR 8613961 and Solution ID 201052206 for this issue...

ciao

This used to be a problem back in Xe, Service Pack 18. Unfortunately, I can't find any of the solutions from back then.

I was also just at a client where the previous CNC claimed that SNAPSHOT was required to switch between environments in 8.12. I did their fat client installation by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. I never saw this problem when I did it that way (old habit from Citrix installations).

Other than that, I can't see any recent reports of this problem in the Knowledge Garden.

Back