CNC / SysAdmin Books, References & Resources ?

ironstone

Can anyone recommend some good books , tutorials or reference material on CNC / SysAdmin for JDE EnterpriseOne ? I’ve done a scout about Amazon but titles seem mighty scarce.

Your best reference is probably directly from Oracle/JDE. The best first manual to read is the "JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 8.96 Foundation Guide" followed by the "JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 8.96 Configurable Network Computing Implementation Guide". These two manuals are very easy to read, and provide in-depth information on how CNC works and the "buzzwords" of JDE. They are certainly a little drier than books you get at amazon - but they are up to date and will contain all the information you need.

However, it also depends on what version of OneWorld you're running - if you're on Xe or ERP 8.0 or before - then any of the books on Amazon will be suitable. Realistically there are only a few books - and heres my recommendations :

"J.D. Edwards OneWorld: The Complete Reference " by Joseph Miller, Allen Jacot, and John Stern. This is a very basic book - but it was the first generally available book. It is very much out of date these days - as it was designed with B7331 in mind - and not even OMW is referenced. Most of the content of this book can be found in the JDE implementation guides - but its a useful book to "have around" if you're a newbie.

" J.D.Edwards OneWorld XE: Using Object Management Workbench" by Allen Jacot and Kimberly Jacot. This is an excellent reference (though somewhat plagiarized) - and deals with setting up Object Management Workbench and the development cycle. Its really an addendum to "The Complete Reference" and brings the former book somewhat up to date with Xe.

"Implementing J.D. Edwards OneWorld" by Robert W. Starinsky. This is a fluff guide for project managers. In effect, it provides a good solid overview for a newcomer - and provides lots of information for executives about the project management and implementation cycle of JDE - but falls far short of actually providing any real life information for technical or functional resources.

"J.D. Edwards OneWorld: A Developer's Guide" by Steven Hester and Chris Enyeart. Out of the series of books, this has often been the most quoted and the most retained book. Its a good "bible" for anyone developing in JDE - and, again, although it doesn't have EVERY single item of code explained in the guide - it provides a great overview and gets most people up to speed pretty quickly on how the toolset works. I also recommend this to CNC or Technical people as well as functional people - so they understand what the toolset is capable of doing. One step beyond the newbies - but a great guide that accompanies the JDE development guides.

"J.D. Edwards Oneworld Xe Implementation on IBM Iseries Servers" published by IBM. The redbooks are a great source of information - though most of the JDE redbooks are the standard JDE installation manuals rebound in redbook covers. However, it is an excellent resource outside of the standard JDE documentation - but only relevant if you implement on an iSeries to be honest.

Lastly, I point to a number of resources out on the internet - the best locations to look is always JDEList of course, then theres Quest (the usergroup website) at http://www.questdirect.org, the Knowledge Garden of course - and then finally my own website, which contains a host of documentation available for download to registered users. There are a large number of whitepapers, articles and other documents available if you look hard enough - and the Quest website also publishes all the presentations from Quest Global each year - which are indispensable !

Hope that helps....

and don't forget www.jdetips.com - always a good source for tips and tricks.

Just for curiosity, I did a google search on JDE System admin books, there's not much out there. Jon's email should help point you in a good direction.

Thank you for the information, I just went from 8.11 to an XE shop and never having seen XE before the info is very helpful.

Back