Troubleshooting a UBE which runs differently on Server vs. Local

BBritain

VIP Member
As a follow up to the "allowed actions during build" post, I have a problem.

I have been asked to troubleshoot a UBE on an Xe/AS400 system which runs differently locally versus on the AS400.

The report which is basically populating some Z files (but it is NOT a table conversion) will only process 10 records when run on the AS400 but will process all records when run locally. I have done extensive testing to eliminate that it is not the data, and there are no incrementing counters that may be hitting a limit anywhere in the code. I also don't see any limiting DD items.

So I really have two questions......The CNC responsible party is having trouble getting debug logs for this report - so can anyone point me to a document that I can get to him to help him get me the debug logs - or better yet, can I do it?

and second, Does anyone have suggestions on what to look at next?

Running Xe/AS400
Ben again,

Ben,

While you are waiting for a reply from someone who knows the AS/400, have you tried submitting the UBE to run on the server, but selecting both log options and level of 6. When the UBE has completed, from Work With Submitted Jobs, select the UBE run that has just completed and then take the display logs row exit. Select the debug log and it "should" display the log on the screen. Then do the same with the jde log.

Hope this helps.

Getting debug logs isn't a big deal.

On your enterprise server - when you submit the report, go into Form/Advanced and turn on Logging. The highest debug level is 6.

To get a good debug locally, just edit your JDE.INI and in the debug section look for "OUTPUT=NONE" and change this to "OUTPUT=FILE". Make sure that "DebugFile=c:\jdedebug.log" and "JobFile=c:\jde.log". You have to do make these changes prior to logging into JDE. When you log in, remember - your client will log EVERYTHING to the debug - so best to just submit the report, then when finished, log out and change OUTPUT=FILE back to NONE.

I can't believe the "CNC Responsible Party" is having issues getting a simple debug log. This is troubleshooting 101 - LITERALLY. Hopefully you're not actually paying anything for that CNC Responsible parties help ?

More than likely, by the way, you have some sort of SQL Package issue. You might want to shut down all JDE Services, and delete the SQL Package on the AS/400 - then start everything up again. There are a few documents to help you in this case - try looking on my website or on the knowledge garden (or even do a search on JDEList for "SQL Package")

If this is truly a SQLPKG issue, there's no need to stop JDE services -- just delete the SQLPKG with the same name as the UBE.

Thanks for the input. Although I have been developing in this for 13+ years now, I had a 'DUH' moment. I got the logs and they don't seem to show me anything. I am told that deleting the SQL package was one of the first things that was done - to no avail. I will post any answer I come up with.

Thanks,
Ben again,

I don't want to sound like a 'DUH' type of person but, can you send the JDE logs? For some reason to me, and to me only, this sounds like an OCM issue.

If your logic fetchs from the same file twice within a loop the pointer may be getting lost. The inside loop ends and then (mistakenly) causes the outside loop to end. The index you use will not make a difference.

Well, It seems that through the course of troubleshooting, we put the report (unmodified) through another package build and it magically started working.

There was no "loop inside a loop" or anything like that going on in the report - in fact it is a very simple report with a few level break sections added.

In any case,
Thanks to all for your input.
Ben again,

Hi, did you check the database tables, from where they are picking the values. some times the source tables are different for xe and as400, though you are in same environment.

Cheers
Sleeva

Back