New Payroll Q Install

masimons

masimons

I have been charged with installing Q Series Payroll Tax on our new windows 2003 enterprise server using an Oracle 10.2 database. I have read the Vertex administration guide and the E1 section on configuring Vertex to work with E1. My issue is I can't seem to find many specifics on how Vertex should be installed for "optimal" integration with E1 (8.12). Which schema should the tables be loaded in? Does the vertex user need to be created, as referenced in the guide, or should existing JDE database users be used? I tried asking vertex support and got no response and I really don't want to open a call with Oracle. Does anyone have any documentation, experience, or advice on installing and integrating?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Simons

Following the Administrator's Guide worked just fine for me. Of course, I had to use the ISAM database because I was on SQL Server, but I don't recall having to do anything special outside of the documentation.

Thanks Ken. I was able to get installed correctly and can test and update Vertex directly, but I am not sure if I am linking from the web client to the vertex database correctly. I specified the same credentials in the Database Connections screen that I used to update vertex (datasource name, server, user, password), but I don't know if I am connected correctly or not. I noticed in the 8.12 install guide that you should make a note of where you install Vertex so you can copy things into the E1 directory structure later on, but then it never mentions where (of even if!) to copy the folders, etc. I wonder if there is a way to test if it is connected correctly? None of my payroll data is populated yet, so I can't run a payroll cycle to find out. Any thoughts?

I've attached a screen shot of P7308, where I configured the Vertex connection. I have the GeoCode portion installed, and those values I input are the same as the ones on the next tab (Payroll). Client named grayed out to protect the innocent.
wink.gif

Remember, I used the ISAM database, and the manual only mentions one other way to do it (ODBC connection). I created a share on my server called "VertexQ". You can see in the first field that this is the path where I installed Vertex ISAM. For ODBC, the manual says to put the ODBC data source name here. I am unsure if you need to create an E1 data source to go with it, and if the E1 data source name or the ODBC data source name goes into this field. If you wind up creating an E1 data source, you should probably be doing it on both the System side and the Server Map side.

To test if the connection was good, I used P73GEO. I know the manual says it's for testing the Sales Tax, but since I had GeoCode Payroll installed, it still worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 127479-Vertex.jpg
    127479-Vertex.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 255
Back