Rebooting Enterpries Server

daveschultz

Well Known Member
We have set our JDE service to be dependant on the Oracle service on startup. However, when we reboot, that only works some of the time. Other times, the logs come up with errors about not being able to connect to database tables. We then have to restart the JDE service, and the logs come up clean. I am considering scheduling reboots of our servers, and would like to have everything start up without having to manually restart the services. How are others handling this?

Servers are Windows 2003. E1 812 with the Enterprise server and Oracle database on the same server.

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

Here's how we do it...

Create a batch script in the enterprise server to shutdown the necessary services...

schtasks /run /tn StopJASInstance /s JASSERVER
sleep 180
net stop "JDE E812"
sleep 180
e:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN\oradim -shutdown -sid ORCLJDE -syspwd password -shuttype srvc,inst -shutmode immediate
sleep 120
shutdown /r /t 360 /f /d p:4:1 /c "Scheduled Server Restart"

The first command calls a scheduled task in our JASSERVER to stop our JAS instances "c:\OraHome_1\opmn\bin\opmnctl.exe stopall" You need to create a script again to startup the JAS instance without user intervention.

hope this helps... actually we've made this as part of our daily database backup scripts.

ciao.

Dave,

Check with your infrastructure guys, but, I seem to recall that you can add in a pause statement for the service. It sounds like the JDE services are seeing that the Oracle services are launched, but the databases are not yet up when JDE kicks off. I seem to remember having that conversation with an infrastructure guy, and he said that he could add in a planned pause on top of the dependency.

Gregg

This is a known issue for all databases on Windows. The issue is that it takes awhile for the database to start and as soon as the first thread starts it signals to the O/S "I'm done" and then JDE starts without the DB being fully up.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Set the DBMS services to autostart
2. Set the JDE services to Manual
3. Use the Windows "Scheduler Tasks" (Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tool) to start a batch file "on server startup/reboot"
4. Find the files from my script below in the Windows NT (yes I did say NT) resource kit and copy them to C:\Windows\System32

Here's the script:

@echo off
cls
echo JDEdwards Services Start Up.
echo Created April 17, 2000: Colin Dawes
echo Modified July 06, 2003: Colin Dawes
echo Starting JDEdwards Services
echo.

SET LOGDIR=F:\OSSCRIPT\logs
SET LOGFILE=%LOGDIR%\jdestart.log

echo *************************************************************** >> %LOGFILE%

REM JDEdwards Network Services Start Up
:JDENET
echo Waiting 2 Minutes Before Starting JDEdwards Network Services
echo Start JDEdwards Network Services: >> %LOGFILE%
sleep.exe 60
now >> %LOGFILE%
net start "JDE 812" >> %LOGFILE%
if errorlevel==1 goto ERROR
echo. >> %LOGFILE%

:EXIT
echo.>>%LOGFILE%
echo ********************* STARTUP COMPLETED ***********************>>%LOGFILE%
echo.>>%LOGFILE%
goto DONE

:ERROR
echo.>>%LOGFILE%
echo ********************* STARTUP ERRORS ***********************>>%LOGFILE%
echo.>>%LOGFILE%

laugh.gif
ONE

Hi Dave,

As an alternative to Colin's post you can also use AutoExNT in windows 2003 resource kit to auto execute a batch file when the server starts/reboots, use the sleep.exe to pause batch commands.

sleep 120
net start "JDE E812"

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think a combination of these will solve my problem.

Dave

Back