EOne 8.12 on SQL2005...

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
Ok - heres a simple question that will hopefully garnish a simple answer. I've installed 8.12 on SQL2000 and then upgraded the database once I applied 8.96D1 or higher in the past - but I noticed that Oracle seems to be updating the edelivery website pretty frequently, and I am (maybe incorrectly) assuming that the updates are keeping things like service packs up to date.

Therefore I'd like to know, has anyone directly installed 8.12 onto SQL2005 without going through the SQL2000 to SQL2K5 upgrade ? Is the platform pack possible to directly install onto SQL2K5 ?

Yes, I've done a lab install and 2 client (meaning customer) installations using SQL 2005 from scratch.

There are some Special Instructions to follow in the Planner ESU, and there are a couple of manual things you have to do as far as pre-creating SQL users, but it works just fine.

I installed an appropriate Tools Release to the Enterprise Server as soon as the CD portion was finished, and before doing PORTTEST or starting services.

Ken - can you post how you got the platform pack to install directly onto SQL 2005 ??? I'm receiving an error stating "could not find valid instances" when I put in the instance name.

Hmm, the JDE databases were the only ones on the servers, so I didn't have an instance name configured in SQL 2005.

I think when that screen came up, I either put just the name of the server, nothing (blank), or <server name>\(local).

Hope one of those works for you ...

Hmmm

Thats what I thought too. I only have one database installed.

However, it IS running on Win2K3 64bit with 64bit SQL Server. I'm wondering if that might be an issue - the database is separate from the app servers. I'm thinking the 64bit is confusing the install application.

I installed 8.12 on SQL 2005 from scratch. Make sure you follow the special instruction correctly . I had missed a few and my database was created with the wrong owners , like the the DV812 was attached to the PY database.

Alos, apply the required SP and hot fixes to the SQL server are recommended by JDE

Jon,

Did you install the SQL native access client? SQL 2005 does not use the old drivers. It's a free download from Microsoft.

Just checked my lab server, and the Planner ESU special instructions state:

1) You must manually create database logins and users before installing the Platform Pack.
2) There is a registry setting you must verify ONLY on 64-bit SQL 2005, again before installing the Platform Pack.
3) Modify the ODBC data source that is created to use the SQL Native Client driver instead of the old SQL Server ODBC driver.

I think it had something to do with the native SQL client - thanks guys. I don't think it works too well on the Win2K3 64bit platform - so instead, I went to the application server and ran the platform pack install from there, and it found the database no problem.

Thanks for all the lists help - no doubt I'll be picking brains from all those SQL2005 installers over the weekend. If anyone has the latest special instructions for SQL2005, I'd love a KG link or even an email with the instructions !!!!

Ah, I didn't realize where you were doing that. I do believe the Tools Releases and System code are not yet certified to run under 64-bit Windows.

Two other considerations:

1) If this is, by chance, a non-production test installation using the MSDN SQL Server 2005 Developer's Edition, look at Microsoft's KB for 914277 to fix an issue with other machines trying to connect to your DB server.

2) In your Enterprise Server's JDE.INI file, you still need the ConnectionPooling=0 flag in [DB SYSTEM SETTINGS].

All special instructions I listed are part of the download in the Planner ESU.

I've done 3 of these this year with no issues. Each was an install directly onto SQL 2005

The special instructions for SQL 2005 are in the planner ESU.

For the platform pack it will only run on a 32 bit OS. Run it from the App server.

The issues that I have come across are as follows:

-ODBC entries not created correctly
-odbcdatasource.inf not updated with all the entries

Just one thing to note --> the SQL 2005 install DOES NOT WORK well for a named instance on SQL Server. Just use the default instance. (JDBJ doesn't like it).

The platform pack also copies files and attached then multiple timesso if you look at JDE_DEVELOPMENT the names on the files are "Pristine". Of course this is easily solved.

I'm doing another SQL 2005 this weekend so I'm around.

Colin

Hi Colin

Good to hear from you. Yes, I realized that the installer doesn't like the 64bit server - so I attempted to run the platform pack installer from the app server. Now, I installed the 32bit client tools and SQL Native client on the app server - and modified the hosts file to ensure that the correct database server is pingable (the DB server name is "jde_db" and the app server name is "jde_app") and the app server still cannot see the database default instance on the DB server. (using the default instance after your warning).

So, I threw a bit of a tantrum - pulled some hair out (what little I have left) and swore insults to Mr McVaneys' development team. Then I decided to install from the deployment server (ha ! Betcha no-one thought of THAT !). Now, interestingly enough the deployment server SAW the instance on the JDE_DB server - and the platform pack went off and started installing....lovely. Time for coffee break I think.

Ten minutes later, I return and check - and its installed everything on the deployment server MSDE database !!!! WTH?!>?!

ok. So, now I'm at the point where for some reason the platform pack has installed all its nice database stuff onto the deployment server - and I have a bunch of wonderful MDF and LDF files sitting there. I'm now considering just detaching/reattaching these files to the 64bit db server. Any known objections to this ?

Whatever was wrong with freakin' SQL Scripts ?!

Just finished pissing my sell with laughter

The whole point of the platform pack is to make things easier and less error prone.

Anyhting I've done on SQL 64 bit has been a change out so I wouldn't know about the platform pack. However ti would appear that for the SQL platform pack it doesn't either (1) Run on a dual server environment with a seperate App and DB server or (2) Run if you have Windows 64 bit in the mix.

If you really want to see if this works try doing the changes for SQL 64 bit on BOTH the App Server and the DB Server and then spin up the platform pack.

Or you can install SQL 2005 32 bit on the App server and spin the platform pack there and then do the attach/detach and import/export thing.

I doubt that taking any of this from MSDE will work. Doesn't MSDE have a 2 GB limit?

Please let me know what happened here. I need some more Friday afternoon comic relief.

Colin

Well, I guess I'm not alone !

Solution ID 201052689 just appeared on the KG - "Database Component Install on SQL Server 2005 64-bit fails" - and there are a bunch of registry hacks......

Cool. Thats like the first time for a while that the KG actually helped me !!!! The post went up on 11/24 evidently - so I guess I must've missed it when I looked earlier.

The gist is that the platform pack doesn't look in the usual registry area for the SQL Server instance name (even if you're not using a named instance, the default instance still has an "instance name"). Instead, it looks in a registry area called "Wow6432Node" - my guess is that is 64bit duplicate area so that the 32bit software can see stuff (microsoft is a bear with doing stuff like that - they love double entry). That area needs to have the same entries as the standard /Microsoft SQL Server entries - and the very informative solution explains how to export, perform a search and replace, and then re-merge the registry back in.

If you're wondering why I'm typing all this, its because I really want others to find this when they run into a similar issue ! As you can imagine, this completely fixed my issue (and all I lost was a couple of handfuls of hair !!!)

By the way - just wanted to clarify that SQL2005 64bit IS supported - as long as the database is a separate platform from the app servers (which is what we're doing here !)

Lastly, I downloaded the latest planner ESU (JK14575) - and I don't see any real reference in there to SQL2005 ??? Am I missing anything ?

[ QUOTE ]

The whole point of the platform pack is to make things easier and less error prone.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL ! So, JDE creates a "perceived issue" (obviously there was NEVER a real issue with the original loadall scripts and Xe install programs - nor were they hard) and then goes ahead and spends millions of dollars in developer hours creating a java-based installation routine - that is completely and utterly broken !!!!

The problem with large hulking monotheistic software corporations is that their developers invent issues that never appear in the real world, and then come up with solutions that require hundreds if not thousands of man hours in development time. All that for something that a customer only ever installs once, and usually its done by either an employee or someone who has been installing dozens of these installs for years (and doesn't really care for the pretty graphics).

Just to let Microsoft, Oracle and Sun know (in case anyone has the SLIGHTEST chance of EVER reading this thread) - us techies like scripts that we can fiddle with to ensure things go quickly and easily. We don't like "installshield" crud. Certainly CEO's and VP's like being able to hit "setup.exe" and walk away - but this is an ERP system and it has a VERY complex underlying architecture that us poor techies have to put together. Don't kneecap us before we even get our hands on the software by coming up with "perceived solutions" - it only requires you, as a software company, to then test your perceived solution on EVERY PLATFORM and variation (and we know you cannot do that).

Anyhows. Thats my venting...! Glad someone else is installing 64bit SQL2005 from scratch - hopefully they're posting any other tickets from the same user on the KG so I can follow in their footsteps.....

Hi Everyone
Thanks to Jon and everyone for writing down all the pains we went through couple of days ago and just finished the platform pack successfully today.
However as stated above the DV and CRP owners are wrong, so need to go and fix them...

there was one more issue with our install which i didnt see anywhere in the posts...
when we copied the registry settings from local machine\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server to local machine\software\wow6432node\microsoft\microsoft sql server it copied all the file paths to "C:\program files" instead of "C:\program files (x86)" which is what a 32 bit application is looking for...

so if someone sees their "Sql server management studio" crashing as soon as you start it after changing those registry settings, please ensure that your registry has correct program files to look at...

Back