Urgent - Windows 2003 Deployment Server Thinks Its a TSE!

Ian_Simmons

Hi there

This is urgent - we have a new deployment server - the previous one failed, which was running 2000 - and after running on a temporary machine, a new server has been purchased, 2003 Server edition installed and JDE installed.

Some package builds fail, unfortunately: UBEs work fine, for example, but business function compiles fail, informing us that this is a Terminal Server (TSE) and it is not allowed. No terminal services have been installed.

Our network and CNC people seem to have tried everything and we have a call with Oracle logged but does anybody out there know what may be missing?

What settings need to be made to a 2003 server to allow it to be a deployment server?

Many thanks for your help in advance!!

P.S. My sig is out of date - we are on SP23 and V5R3.

Ian,

Have you added in the OWDeveloper = True to the JDE.ini?

Here is how my Debug section looks on my Windows 2003 deployment server:

[DEBUG]
TAMMultiUserOn=0
Output=NONE
LEVEL=BSFN,EVENTS
;BSFN,EVENTS,SF_CONTROL,SF_GRID,SF_PARENT_CHILD,SF_GENERAL,SF_MESSAGING,SF_WORKFLOW,SF_WORKFLOW_ADMIN,SF_MEDIA_OBJ
DebugFile=C:\WINDOWS\jdedebug.log
JobFile=C:\WINDOWS\jde.log
Frequency=10000
RepTrace=0
ServerLog=1
OWDeveloper=TRUE
WTSLogs=FALSE

Hi thanks - I did a bit of research and already found this. Funnily enough I had already suggested it but I only knew it as a workaround to access development tools on a TSE.

Thanks anyway!

2 things you might try:

1) There used to be a memory issue with the way Windows 2003 managed memory. You had to add the WaitForBusbuild=Y flag in the [Install] section of the deployment server's JDE.INI in order to get the full package to build all the way through.

2) For Xe, you need Visual C++ 6 w/SP5. When this is installed, you need to make sure you hit the check box to "Register Environment Variables" and then actually go to your Windows Environment Variables, and move 4 of them.

If you are logged into the deployment server, and running your package build as a user other than the user who installed Visual C++, those environment variables are not visible, and C++ won't run correctly.

Make sure include, lib, and MSDevDir are moved from the User Variables to the System Variables, and that the Path variable is taken from the User Variables, and pasted to the end of the Path variable in the System Variables.

Not sure if these will help, but they are a couple of things that are easy to overlook.

Do you not need to create and attach your user profile to a local group on the windows server called OWDEVELOPER as well? I thought this was part of the workaround. I could be wrong though.

Hi Kyle - good to see you on here !

Yes - you need to create a local group called "OWDEVELOPER" and add users to that group for specific OW versions. PLUS add "OWDEVELOPER=TRUE" to the JDE.INI.

Remember, this "check" is due to the fact that JDE restricted the client on a terminal server - they didn't realize in 1999/2000 that every Microsoft Operating system would become in effect a Terminal Server in the future (since all of the MS Operating Systems now install RDP as standard). There is no drawback whatsoever of setting up this JDE.INI "hack" - just don't let multiple users connect to the deployment server through RDP !

Sorry guys, but the local OWDEVELOPER group is no longer a requirement to get that to work. Only the JDE.INI statement is necessary.

From what I remember of my research, having a local OWDEVELOPER group in Windows was required around the B73.3.1 - B73.3.2, SP10 time frame. (Is this what you meant by specific OW versions?)

In the current Xe-ERP8, SP20+ installations, you don't have to do that any more. I've gotten multi-user Citrix development to work on Xe and ERP8 without it.

Actually, the requirement for an OWDEVELOPER group was for a specific service pack version. I think it went away after SP18.1 or so. Maybe even before then. Anyhow, at the time, I wasn't sure what version the user was using (I think he added that he was on SP23 later), so if they're on an earlier service pack - and OWDEVELOPER=TRUE isn't working, then try adding the user ID's group to an OWDEVELOPER local group.

Hi Ken,

[ QUOTE ]

1) There used to be a memory issue with the way Windows 2003 managed memory. You had to add the WaitForBusbuild=Y flag in the [Install] section of the deployment server's JDE.INI in order to get the full package to build all the way through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've checked this one on the knowledge garden and this issue is not related to how windows 2003 manage memory but a bug on jdelib code. This is workaround solution thought. See solution id 200815819 (SAR 6971705).

Hope you won't take this negatively.

thanks,

No worries. I ran into that problem when I was first working on Windows 2003, and hadn't bothered to look for any solutions afterwards because I "knew" the answer already.

Just goes to show, you are constantly learning in this business.
laugh.gif

Back