ISeries Data Query

PaulWyatt

Hello
I have been using this for many years and yesterday I found something I didn't understand. So that my queries can run without amending dates each month, I introduced a new file with the dates in.
I joined the date in the primary file to two dates in the new date file (a from date, and a to date).
On 3 queries, the system didn't complain, and the results on the first two tested OK.
When I changed further queries the system started to tell me that I couldn't have multiple joins for the file ID.
I then discovered that the data retrieval for the 3rd query was wrong (too much data).
My questions are:
If your not allowed to join files in this way, why does query only report an error sometimes, and why are the results sometimes OK and sometimes not???
BTW for the join test, im using GE and LE for the two dates.

Any help would be appreciated

I'd like to help, but you haven't really provided enough information. Perhaps if you could provide the SQL that's causing the problem, along with the exact error message, someone might be able to point you to the problem (or better yet, the solution). Your OS version may make a difference as well, since there were some significant changes around V5R3.

Thanks Bill for your response. I will get the exact error message and post that for you. I don't know if its possible to get details of the sql, as the query facilities are executed within control programs put in place by our IT guys.
Parodoxically, they arent interested in providing support.
I dont think that this is any issue with the software. I think that it is something that I would be able to resolve if the help system provided more information about illegal joins.
I will ask our IT guys if the sql can be captured, although I am sure they won't want to help. It is all political, Im afraid.

Back