AS/400 classes

m@dm@x

m@dm@x

Well Known Member
All,
Can anyone on the list suggest an AS/400 Admin class. I've contacted IBM but the next class isn't scheduled until Feb. Any suggested would be appreciated.

Max

Just read the manuals - it's pretty straight forward (that's how I learnt it).

[ QUOTE ]
Just read the manuals - it's pretty straight forward (that's how I learnt it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I'm a bit wierd though, I like structured classes. I'm sure the Redbooks have tons to offer, I'm just not a learnt type of guy.

Max

I am actually looking for the same thing. For some reason I willbe CNC and AS/400 DB2 Admin and I hinestly don't have the time to sit and read the Red Books, this is not fun reading at all.
grin.gif

So I take it I may have to wait until February 08

The good thing about AS/400 is that the DB requires very little administration once it's set up. If you don't know a command you can find it on a menu easily enough (eg cmdtap will display all tape commands whilst cmdtcp will show all TCP commands). I wish I was still working on one.

When I first started working on an AS/400, we had a library of training tapes I listened to. It installed a piece on the AS/400, too, which allowed you to interact during the training. Unfortunately, I'm too old to remember who they were made by, but you might look into something like that as an alternative.

Crack the books.. if it's not an easy read the class will drown you. IBM f eeds the book to you with a fire hose and if you aren't a Mid Range guy by birth the class won't be any fun at all. Get the overview from the books a nd the Feb class will fill in the blanks. Go there cold and you'll be crac king the books anyway to fill in the blanks but won't have the benefit of I nstructors to help clarify things.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On B ehalf Of m@dm@x
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 7:51 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: AS/400 classes

Quote:

Re: RE: AS/400 classes

Thanks for the help everyone. I've found AST offers self tought books. I'll let you know how they are.

Max

Re: RE: AS/400 classes

[ QUOTE ]
I think he is talking about ATS.
http://www.ibmuser.com/
Here is another that I've used:
http://www.cbt400.com/

Sorry for mistyping that folks. Just another crazy CNC in the house.

Once you know the concepts, you can usually get around using F1 (help) and F4 (command prompt)

[/ QUOTE ]

Back