Oracle Offer for BEA

Not sure it makes much sense to buy BEA to be honest. Oracle already has a huge piece of the middleware pie in its JAS server offering, and is rapidly eating into the Websphere competition. Theoretically, Fusion is supposed to be what BEA is today - so why go to the bother of purchasing the competition unless you're not confident that Fusion is a viable competitor ?

What is interesting is that I always thought BEA was partly owned by Peoplesoft - and I naturally assumed that oracle had taken over that ownership. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe they ditched their ownership just prior to the oracle takeover ?

Oracle needs to start evaluating whether purchasing all these companies is realistically in their best interest. Right now, they're looking more and more like Computer Associates - and unless they deliver on Fusion and it is accepted in the marketplace, they're going to go the same way...

BEA ships a really nice Portal, and their dev tools are very appealing.

In business terms, I think it makes a lot of sense. They gain market share in the middleware space, and enterprise customers can start thinking about consolidating their middleware as BEA is slowly absorbed. They can also avoid the worst case scenario, which is likely an SAP buyout of BEA.

Take a look at a couple of application vendors which Oracle recently purchased, Hyperion and G-Log. Their apps have a proportionally large installed base running on BEA WebLogic. Oracle is still selling licenses for those application products, including a rebranded "OTM", Oracle Transportation Management, and is bundling Hyperion BI along with the Oracle BI EE tools they acquired when they purchased Siebel. Oracle is turning into a serious one stop shop for business software. I don't see them as Computer Associates. The products they have been acquiring are actually good products, not CA "quality", and can "snap together" better.

If you want to know the truth, this makes my life SO much easier as an applications manager. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to deal with middleware from the likes of Oracle, BEA, IBM, and OpenSource all in the same data center, with myriad applications running on whichever middleware stack the vendor and consultants recommended at the time.

My sense was that it was either 1 of 2 things:

1 - Oracle bidding up the price to hurt SAP so that it could get a company it really doesn't want and can't absorb

-or-

2 - Larry got drunk and lost a bet.

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BEA Systems (NasdaqGS: BEAS - News) this afternoon released a copy of a letter to Charles Phillips, President of Oracle (NasdaqGS: ORCL - News) in response to erroneous information contained in a letter Oracle publicly released earlier in the day. Below is the text of BEA System’s letter in its entirety:

Charles Phillips
President
Oracle Corporation
500 Oracle Parkway Redwood Shores, CA 94065
12 October 2007 VIA FACSIMILE

Dear Charles:

Let me clarify your misunderstanding and set the record straight.

1) We did not agree to meet this morning to commence a process,and we did not agree to your proposal that the process result in a definitive agreement by Monday.

2) We did not say there is "no process" with Oracle that would result in a friendly deal.

3) We did say that BEA is worth substantially more to Oracle, to others and, importantly, to BEA shareholders than is reflected by Oracle's $17 price. The trading market today validates our judgment.

4) We did say, and we will repeat here, that we will not engage in any process that would be open-ended or harmful to our shareholders' interest.

Sincerely,

William Klein
BEA Systems

In a JDElist "Exclusive", here is the first draft of the letter....
wink.gif

Dear Charles:

Let me clarify your misunderstanding and set the record straight.

1) We did not agree to meet this morning to commence a process,
you lying little weasel.

2) We did not say there is "no process" with Oracle that would
result in a friendly deal because we ain’t gonna accept your crappy offer.

3) We did say that BEA is worth substantially more to Oracle, so fork over some more dough if you want our company

4) We did say, and we will repeat here, that we will not engage in any
process that will sell us out for peanuts.

Sincerely,

William “The Hun” Klein
BEA Systems

Back