Is it possible to build an Update Package on a FAT Client or Citrix Svr?

Bago

Is this too risky, or will it still work?

Am in a new job, everything is happening, and am thrown in the deep end. Profile do not allow me access to the deployment server without problem. Yet, profile allow access to the Citrix Servers.

Developers are waiting for their packages... and I'm sitting across the Ocean from them in a different time zone ?

What are the potential probs?

No problem to package on FAT Client (Citrix, i will not try).

I must have Visual C++ 6 or .Net upon E1 version.
You must have Read/Write rigths on Deployment Server E1 folders as you must have on the Enterprise server.

Don't have an admin to do that ?
Regards.

There's no designated admin. Long story.
I knew there was a reason why it had to be from deployment server, and in DEP733 too. For the life of me, I couldn't think why.

Anyway, I didn't go ahead with this.
I used the method for B7331/B7332/3... but now the current system I am on is B7334. I just wondered if anything had changed majorly with regards to how Package Build works.

I noticed the option to clear out Busobj folder is always checked in DV, and not in PY or PD though. Interesting...

I was told that there are no FAT clients, but then I found developers using them! Hm...

[ QUOTE ]
There's no designated admin. Long story.
I knew there was a reason why it had to be from deployment server, and in DEP733 too. For the life of me, I couldn't think why.

Anyway, I didn't go ahead with this.
I used the method for B7331/B7332/3... but now the current system I am on is B7334. I just wondered if anything had changed majorly with regards to how Package Build works.

I noticed the option to clear out Busobj folder is always checked in DV, and not in PY or PD though. Interesting...

I was told that there are no FAT clients, but then I found developers using them! Hm...

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Clear BusObj" setting was put there to clear up an issue on older pre-Xe releases where an unfinished package build would leave a Busobj folder that interfered with subsequent builds. Oh, the good old days...

Working with older releases is always a pain because I tend to dump the old "rules" when the new stuff comes along (limited brainspace and all that) but I'll tell you what I remember about package builds on TSE.

Pre SP 16.1? Create OWDEVELOPER NT Local Group and add yourself
Post SP 16.1? Modify your jde.ini [DEBUG]OWDEVELOPER=TRUE

If you want to do the builds on a permanent basis there you should probably set the machine up for Remote Development. If you just want to snap off a quick build with nobody logged into the TS the above should be good.

Your best bet is to install a Citrix Development Server. Then you can build packages on that citrix box all day long. Look on my website for a document that will help - or in the tips and tricks section.

Back