AS/400 Migration

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Hi list,
Does anyone have a documented process for moving from 1 AS/400 to another?

Here is my scenario:-
Currently we run all our E1 8.12 environments on a single AS/400, we just got a newer AS/400, and in doing so we have decided to LPAR the server so that PROD and TEST is separated.

I am trying to find the best seamless way of achieving this I got a document from the KG but it is very basic, I believe that there are more to it than the document entails.

Does anyone have any sort of plan or document that they are willing to share?

Are you migrating the AS/400 to a new machine (ie, the new machine will end up with the same name) or are you adding the new machine into the enterprise (a different name ?)

The former is easier than the latter - but both are very easily achievable in a rapid timescale.

Which doc did you get? I have just completed migrating an XE system from an XE SP20 i820 V5R2 to a XE SP23_R1 i520 V5R4. We stuck to the same machine names. The users have been testing for more than a week with no major issues.

I am going to be keeping the same name for PROD, however since test will be on a different LPAR it will have a new name. I am not too worried about TEST, I would like to get PROD move clean. AS for testing where I am at testing is a new concept. I don't think I may have a week to test. The entire move has to be done by Oct 31st.

The document I found is 200997081 we are of 8.12.

Thanks

If you are moving to an LPAR with the same name as your old AS/400, you can initially just treat it as if you were doing a straight copy from a single AS/400 to another. Ideally however though, you need to get all your data, objects, libraries, etc moved to the new machine. When I performed this I initially called my new AS/400 JDEPRODx as the old one was called JDEPROD. This was so that I could at least see them both on the network at the same time. Then I started copying over to the new one. Once I was ready to make the swap, I brought the old 400 down, changed the name of the new one to JDEPROD, and brought everything up. It was remarkably smooth and from what I can remember there really weren't any "gotchas" as long as you copied all your libraries and objects over correctly.

Back