Moving Current 8.11 setup to the new 8.11 installation

demi

Hi.

We are running 8.11 SP1, tool release 8.91_D1. We have a situation now, which needs to do fresh installation of 8.11 on new servers, means we will be installing Deployment server, enterprise server, database server, web server, web generator machine, and then move everything from current running 8.11 Servers to the new 8.11 servers. which includes all the database and custom objects.

I would like to know has anyone was there in this situation, if yes, please share your views how to do this whole process and if someone have any documentation of doing this please provide that documents.

Thank

I would like to move the LT1 engine from my old Corvette to my new Corvette. Would someone please tell me how to do this, and provide any and all documentation for this procedure?

One last request - would you be willing to stop by my garage and do this work pro bono? I'd really appreciate it. Times are tough these days.

There's always a canned R98something that will do any and all the pixie dust
settling that anyone could ever imagine...

The trick - is to guess the right spell before spraking with the twast and
twist of the wand!

(db)

--

If you do not have any decent post, please do not post useless comments in this decent and knowledge base forum.

Demi,

Comentator has a point - you are asking a lot (there are manuals on this stuff).

To get you pointed in the right direction - Go to OMW and do an Object Librarian search on R98*... you will find a UBE to do almost anything. If you are just talking data - R98403*... I heard you could do objects (but, I haven't read the stupid manuals either)....

Hope this helps.

(db)

Demi,

It's quite a complex task you're asking for...

Procedure will depend on what technology you're using...
is it Windows/SQL? HPUX/Oracle? AS/400? Sun/DB2?
How much data are we talking about?
What about your available downtime?
Are both installs on a LAN or across a WAN?

I would definitely do one server at a time, big-bang
(move all at once) is a dangerous strategy, usually leads
to a forced exile in some barren South Atlantic island.

Please, provide us some extra details and you'll probably
get some hints on how to solve your problem.

Regards,

Thanks, we are using Windows/SQL, downtime is not an issue because our current system will be up and running, once we ready with our new server installation and configuration, then we will start using this new system after the final data move.
All the server are on the same LAN,
For changing the deployment server I know that once we install new deployment server, we can copy the entire e811 directory structure to the new deployment server and we need to update few table to change the Machine name to the new deployment server. I would like to know about the rest of the server like Enterprise Server, Batch server and WebServer, after the new installation of these server, what other things we need to take care, like copying file and updating tables etc etc.

Just a note, we have purchased all new server and deployed then in our new data center, now what we are trying to do is installing deployment sever, enterprise server, batch server, database server, webserver and restoring them from the old servers.

Hi,

In that case, you should start by installing the new
Deployment and moving all the Deployment folders and
MSDE databases there.

You'll also have to review a bunch of .INI and .INF
files, and another bunch of technical tables F98*, F96*,
F00* on both DEP and Planner environments to check
for Deployment machine name occurences.

Check that everything works on the new machine such
as packages and ESUs before getting rid of the old one.

Second step : you'll have to run an installation
plan for the new servers, I'd start with the Webs
that are quite easy and have little impact on
JDE technical tables.

You'll have to install and configure them, and once
everything is fine get rid of the old Webs.

Third, you'll have to run installation plans for
your database and UBE servers, compile packages
on the new machines just to be sure binaries are fine,
and review your JDE.INIs and ODBCs on the new servers.

Finally, you'll have to create new datasources to
move data from old DBs to new DBs, and modify OCMs
to take account of the new servers and datasources.

That's quite a delicate job, do one thing at a time and
you'll have decent probabilities of success.

My personal advice : never scrap a server if you don't
know how to restore its entire functionality.

Good luck,

Back