ERP 8 Test Environment Setup

Dan_f

Guys,

I'm looking into setting up a Test Environment which needs to be a replica of our Production Environment. We'd like to use this as a test for Service Pack Upgrades and DB Upgrades (SQL2000 > SQL2005).

So far I have installed and setup ERP8 with its own Deployment and Enterprise servers and upgraded this to our current production service pack > SP23_F1.

I now need to bring the test environment objects and business data inline with our production environment. I have been playing around with Product Packaging to do this but as yet haven’t been very successful.

I was wondering if anyone has any documentation outlining the steps to achieving a replica setup of the production environment? Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if anyone has any documentation outlining the steps to achieving a replica setup of the production environment? Any help with this will be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan,

Have your DBA do a complete SQL {insert your database name here} backup of your prod business data and central objects. Then restore that data on to your test box. There will probably need to be some tweaking done to change over names, owners and permission. Once your DBA has done that once and documented the procedure, it will be a easy process to maintain. We do data refreshes like that all the time. We move copies of business data down to a PY environment and / or move whole chunks of data over to sandbox servers. This would be far easier than trying to get the code over through product packaging. Product packaing is good for small chunks of code. What you are doing is data cloaning.

Good luck!

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Gregg,

Thanks for your reply. I am actually the DBA and the process of copying business data etc between environments is not a problem and something that I do day to day on our production server e.g. from PROD to PY. I have used this same process to copy data to the test setup.

The problem I have is that the out of the box JDE install doesn’t contain any of our development modifications/additions to programs, tables, UBE's etc (of which there are a lot).
My understanding is that we need to create a Product Package from our production setup and install this into the test setup to bring over all of our system/object modifications. Once this is installed a package should be built on the test setup and then deployed to clients and servers so that the modifications/objects are available.

This is the part I am unsure about and I’m not sure if I’m going down the correct path to achieve this?

Just to confirm the test setup is completely separate to our productions setup with its own deployment, enterprise, database servers and client workstations.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I don't know the entire process that we've done in the past, but... copying over the central objects database is one part. There are also all of the C code over on your production deployment server that needs to be copied over as well. Hopefully one of our consultants buds like Steele or Bonner will chime in and help you out.

Back