CNC Person responsibilities

PRABHA19

PRABHA19

Hi List,
I am newley entered into CNC.
I want to know CNC Person responsibilities apart from CNC.
I will appreciate if you view this issue and more thank ful if you give any reply
Thanks
Prabhakar Reddy

Prabhakar,

Welcome to the world of CNC and JDElist.

The responsibilities will vary by company and by the size of your IT staff. In my case, there are 120 other IT people supporting corporate IT, letting me focus on CNC.

Possible stuff:
Servers
OS
Terminal servers
database
functional support for JDE
programming for JDE
Websphere or OAS admin (both for JDE and other apps)
Third party bolt-on tools (Schedulers, archiving, faxing, document management, forms creation, etc.)

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there is a lot more. One thing that can be said, the job is not boring. Good luck in your new career.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC, Security, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Pretty much anything they want to give to you.... At some places you will be responsible JUST for CNC duties, at other places you may be responsible for various Network, DB, and Server admin functions.

HI Prabhakar

When I was with JDE/PSFT/ORCL consulting, we were asked this question on every new project. My response was always the same - if JDE touches it, it's going to be part of the CNC admin's responsibility. This means the DB, the network, the web servers, the printers, the app servers, the desktops, the browsers, etc. The CNC Admin role typically becomes the center of the JDE universe because he/she is responsible for keeping the system up and running. Does this mean you need to know all there is to know about these areas? Not at all. But you will need to know how to diagnose any issue that comes up and determine which of the other support groups should get involved (DBA, sysadmin, etc).

In a large company, the CNC admin is like a triage doctor in an emergency room: identify the issue, determine who needs to fix it, and then hadn it over or work with that person/team to resolve it. In a smaller company, the CNC person not only has to diagnose the issue but then is usually the one who has to resolve it. It can be overwhelming at first.

If you haven't done it already, I strongly suggest looking into the formal CNC courses offered by Oracle. These classes can give you the concepts, theory, and general how-to for most issues. However, experience is the best teacher once you understand how the system works.

Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
The CNC Admin role becomes the center of the JDE universe

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, love that quote. Can I add it to my job description?

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin and
Center of the JDE Universe

Absolutely and my royalties are reasonable!

grin.gif

Can anyone suggest reading material (other than attending the Oracle classes) to get a 10,000 ft. overview of the CNC function (terminology). Also workflow of the different JDE EnterpriseOne environments (DV,PY, etc.)

Darrell,

What release are you on? If XE, then try "the bible" aka JDEdwards OneWorld, The Complete Reference by Joe Miller, Allen Jacot, John Stern. If you are at a higher release, this book is useful but dated. You can also sign up for JDEtips Journal. They have tons of material including some crap I wrote.
wink.gif
If you want just terms, I can send you offline one of my earlier articles with CNC terms defined for non-nerds.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin

Back