WAS and OAS on same box for 8.12 ??

Mustang

We have setup JDE release 8.12/SQL 2005 for our inhouse system. We are currently using Websphere 6 as the Application Server for the web cliet.
We are trying to set up a Oralce 10g R2 as the App Server just for testing purposes.

Is it possible to have 2 web servers running on the same system/same box.

8.12 | 8.96.1.3 | SQL 2005 | WAS 6.0

I wouldn't recommend it, nor would Oracle or IBM. If the box were a vmware host server and OAS was in one virtual machine, and websphere in another, then I would say go for it. But to put the two on the same OS instance would be asking for trouble. That's my $.02

Gregg

It is definitely possible. I have recently completed a blue stack to red stack migration during an 8.11 to 8.12 upgrade. For a good 4 months the QA JAS server (custom environment) and PD JAS servers ran both WebSphere and OAS with no conflicts after install.

The two products do not share binaries or other file-based resources. Obviously they must share the hardware and running OAS and WebSphere in parallel will consume more system resources. I don't see it as being any different than adding additional JAS instances to an existing WebSphere installation. The one area for potential conflict is ports. The OAS specific ports didn't conflict in my case. I did however have an initial conflict when I brought up the OHS (Oracle HTTP Server). The IBM HTTP Server instance still had a default listener on port 80 and so did OHS. Once I removed HTTP port conflicts everything worked smoothly.

I have a number of comments regarding what I believe is gained or lost by going to OAS but that is for another thread. For this post I will just point out that a standard install of the supported 10GR2 OAS from e-Delivery installs an Oracle branded Apache 1.3 install. If you have been running Apache 2 and have been enjoying GZIP compression you will lose that feature with the currently supported version of OAS. There is a version of Apache 2 on the companion CD but it won't be as integrated into OAS Application Server Control as what comes on the main CD. We are hoping that OAS 10GR3 will soon be certified for use with JDE and that we will get a pre-integrated Apache 2 back.

Mustang,

As you can see from Charles and Justin's posts, it is possible to have OAS and Websphere on the same box. But I stand by my recommendation. Those two guys are some of the most knowledgeable CNCs I know, and as you see in Justin's post, the configuration was tricky.

If you want to do a side by side comparision without bending the configuration like a pretzel, use two comparable pieces of hardware or two comparable VM sessions.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

[ QUOTE ]
I have a number of comments regarding what I believe is gained or lost by going to OAS but that is for another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin, I think a lot of us would be very interested in your observations. That would make for an awesome whitepaper AND/OR Collaborate presentation. The Collaborate call for presentations is open until Oct 23. Here is the URL.

http://www.questdirect.org/QuestDirect/Events/COLLABORATE/Call+For+Presentations.htm

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Back