Workstation install deletes specs for all path codes

cncjunior1

Reputable Poster
Hi List,

We are on 8.12, 8.96.1.4. When installing a full package on a workstation for one path code it deletes the mdf files for all the currently installed path codes. For example, if DV and PY are installed on a workstation and I install the latest DV full package, it will delete the mdf spec files for PY also. And then if I try to reinstall PY, it will delete the DV mdf spec files. It works fine if installing a new path code on a workstation. For example, if only DV exists and I install a full PY package for the first time, it installs okay. Only when reinstalling a path code does the issue happen it seems. I don't recall this happening before so I don't know if it's a tools release bug or not. Anyone know anything about this? Thank you.

It sounds like the famous JDE QA process at work -- ship early and often, your customers can test for you.
wink.gif

I recall a similar problem in some previous tools release where installing a package would delete all other installed path codes. I haven't installed 8.96.1.4 but from 8.96 base to 8.96.1.1 I have found that the installer leaves previous package's MDF's behind. I have been using a command script attached to a package feature to clean up old package MDF's. This issue of old package specs being left behind was reported under SAR 8300833 and against 8.96.1.4 as SAR 8471481. Both are listed as complete but it appears that the fix is staged for delivery in 8.97. Perhaps they have delivered a flawed solution in 8.96.1.4 that deletes all MDF's.

If you log a call about it I would be interested to hear the response.

CNCjunior,

That must be very frustrating. I have an alternate suggestion for you. When I update my terminal servers (we are on XE) or fat clients, I only deploy the package to one terminal server. For the other computers, I connect to their hard drives through drive mapping and just replace the jde package directory.

For example, if I am updating production, I have a process that creates a "PD7333.new" directory on the fat client. It then copies in the Bin32, Spec, Data and Res directories. When all of the data is there, I rename the "PD7333" directory to "PD7333.old". I rename "PD7333.new" to "PD7333". The down time on the fat client or terminal server is minimal (seconds) and all of the servers and fat clients stay in synch.

I wrote a whitepaper on the topic that I would be happy to share with you (or anyone else) offline. Or, if you subscribe to jdetips journal, take a look at the cover article of last month's issue.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech
[email protected]

cncjunior,

We are installing 8.12 w/8.96.1.3. We have just created a couple of fat clients for our developers. I have two (yes, 2) CNC consultants in-house. One started the fat client install and ended up installing DV, PY, and a Conversion environment on the PC. And it all seemed to work OK. The 2nd CNC consultant noticed and says "You can't have multiple environments installed in 8.12 fat clients. You have to use the 'snapshot' utility to switch between the environments."

It sounds to me like you have 8.12 and have multiple environments installed on fat client machines. Correct? Any problems? Have you ever heard of the need for snapshot in 8.12?

Your experience will be invaluable to me.

Jerry Camden
Paul Mueller Company
Springfield, MO
417-575-9536

Hi Gregg,

I will appreciate if you email me the Whitepaper you wrote.

Regards,
Sajid

gregglarkin <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
09/20/2007 11:11 AM
Please respond to
JD Edwards=AE EnterpriseOne <[email protected]>

To
[email protected]
cc

Subject
Re: Workstation install deletes specs for all path codes

CNCjunior,

That must be very frustrating. I have an alternate suggestion for you.
When I update my terminal servers (we are on XE) or fat clients, I only
deploy the package to one terminal server. For the other computers, I
connect to their hard drives through drive mapping and just replace the
jde package directory.

For example, if I am updating production, I have a process that creates a
"PD7333.new" directory on the fat client. It then copies in the Bin32,
Spec, Data and Res directories. When all of the data is there, I rename
the "PD7333" directory to "PD7333.old". I rename "PD7333.new" to "PD7333".
The down time on the fat client or terminal server is minimal (seconds)
and all of the servers and fat clients stay in synch.

I wrote a whitepaper on the topic that I would be happy to share with you
(or anyone else) offline. Or, if you subscribe to jdetips journal, take a
look at the cover article of last month's issue.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech
[email protected]
Production: XE, Update 6, SP23G, Win 2K, Win 2K3, SQL 2K, Websphere 5, XPI
4.7, Citrix Presentation Server 3.0 36 servers, over 3000 users from 5
countries "Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

Just thought I'd let you know that 8.96.1.4 has been recalled as it was defective. We were testing on this version and had to re-install 8.96.1.3 instead. I haven't come accross anything too weird with this version yet and we've been testing in DV/PY for around 3 weeks now.

cheers
Filiz

Enterprise Server 8.9 SP2 (Prod) on windows 2003
Enterprise Server 8.96.13 (DEV) on windows 2003
Database - Oracle 9i on AIX 5.3

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did open a call with Oracle and they told me that SAR 8300833 was implemented starting with 8.96.1.4. My guess is that instead of dropping the MSDE databases for just the existing path code, they are dropping ALL the MSDE databases. The Oracle support rep actually agreed with me on this and he is having development look at the issue. As soon as I hear something I'll let everyone know.

[ QUOTE ]
When I update my terminal servers (we are on XE) or fat clients, I only deploy the package to one terminal server. For the other computers, I connect to their hard drives through drive mapping and just replace the jde package directory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gregg, I've actually read your paper on this and it works quite well, but I think it needs a little bit of modification for 8.12 since it doesn't use TAM files anymore and needs to attach the .mdf and .ldf files to the MSDE instance on the PC. I haven't looked into it yet though.

[ QUOTE ]
We are installing 8.12 w/8.96.1.3. We have just created a couple of fat clients for our developers. I have two (yes, 2) CNC consultants in-house. One started the fat client install and ended up installing DV, PY, and a Conversion environment on the PC. And it all seemed to work OK. The 2nd CNC consultant noticed and says "You can't have multiple environments installed in 8.12 fat clients. You have to use the 'snapshot' utility to switch between the environments."

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding that you only need to use snapshot if you want to have a web dev client for both DV and PY, etc., since the web dev client can only point to one path code at a time. Even then it's not really needed because you can just change the config in your local jas.ini and jdbj.ini to point to DV or PY when you want to switch between the two.

[ QUOTE ]
Just thought I'd let you know that 8.96.1.4 has been recalled as it was defective. We were testing on this version and had to re-install 8.96.1.3 instead. I haven't come accross anything too weird with this version yet and we've been testing in DV/PY for around 3 weeks now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually got that notification the day I installed 8.96.1.4, but according to Oracle it shouldn't affect 8.12 and was only for the manufacturing module I believe. I have also heard of another client that is having the same issue with 8.96.1.5

Oracle got back to me and they confirmed it was a bug. They created SAR 8613961 for the issue and said it will be corrected in 8.96.2.2. They said we could use the old client install from the previous tools release we had or we could wait for a POC in a couple weeks. They said the fix will just be removing the SAR they implemented to remove the old mdf files, so starting with 8.96.2.2, all the old mdf files will still be there after installing a full package again.

Guys,
I installed DV, PY and PD 8.12 pathcodes on a workstation , without creating a snapshot. I modified the jas.ini and jdbj.ini , and I can log into the loca web environment for each of the pathcodes.

I am running tools release 1.3

Back