Pdf wrap issue with Print Immediate

Graham Jones

If I run any UBE on the server and then view & print the pdf from work with server jobs – all is OK.

However, if I select Print Immediate prior to submitting the job the pdf prints out on the correct default printer but the text at the right hand edge wraps around. It seems to me to be an issue on the HP9000 box but our Unix guys can’t determine the cause.

Has anyone had this problem or got any ideas?

Graham,

I don't have a fix for you, but I can tell you that you are not nuts. Print immediate is rather tempermental. I tend to discourage it for just that reason.

Gregg

wow, just looked at your stats. you've been a member since 2001 and this is your first post? I'm a firm believer in lurking before you post, but you must have set some kind of record in that category.....

Fair point Greg re the whole print immediate thing but you know users....

I have posted before on a number of subjects but this is my first for a while and I'm sure we have 'met' before via this forum. Looks like my older posts have been removed. They were all polite and professional I can assure you.

Graham,

this has happened a few times to us (most recently yesterday) on scheduled jobs with print immediate turned on.

No clue as to why though.

I note that we're both on 8.9 but what Tools release are you on?

[ QUOTE ]
If I run any UBE on the server and then view & print the pdf from work with server jobs – all is OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wording leads me to believe you may be using two distinctly separate printing mechansisms, and if so, this would have nothing to do with Print Immediate.

Do you print the PDF from within Adobe Reader(which I assume) or do you select the row and then click the "Print" button within JDE to print to the server (after viewing the PDF in Adobe)?

It is more likely that, when you print from Adobe Reader, you are either printing directly to the printer from your Windows desktop, or printing though a Windows print server, than it is for you to be sending print jobs from Adobe to the HP9000 print queue. It is certainly possibly you are doing that, so I don't want to assume anything...

[ QUOTE ]
However, if I select Print Immediate prior to submitting the job the pdf prints out on the correct default printer but the text at the right hand edge wraps around. It seems to me to be an issue on the HP9000 box but our Unix guys can’t determine the cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are actually printing from Adobe through a Windows print server, or directly to the printer IP from your workstation, you likely have an issue with the HP9000 print drivers...

Even if you do print through the HP9000 server from your Windows desktop using Adobe Reader, it is possibly you are printing the PDF as an image and therefore it would print as WYSIWYG. Again, this is not the same as clicking the Print exit button which actually sends an lp command to print the file.

Thank you Larry for highlighting the tools release omission in my signature (no excuse, schoolboy error now rectified).

Charles, your assumption is correct. The print out is fine only when viewed, and then printed, from within Adobe Reader on the client. Having selected the Print Immediate option when submitting the job I just let it print directly to the printer (no job search & viewing).

I have also tried runube from the Enterprise server command line but still with the wrapping issue.

As always gentlemen, thank you for taking time to reply.

The issue is most almost certainly with the printer setup on the HP9000. You're printing through a separate channel when you view the PDF and print from Adobe. Does this happen with *any* printer?

The users have either one of two Gestetner printers which I have locally for testing purposes and they give the same results.

When you print from Adobe Reader, do you have 'shrink to fit' or 'fit to page' (or whatever it is called) on in the print properties dialog in Windows? If so, turn it off, and then print and see what happens. EOne doesn't ever 'fit to page'.

Indeed he does. I tried the 3 available options of Print Scaling (None, Fit to Printable Area and Shrink to Printable Area) and all printed OK but interestingly the None printout had the text pulled towards the top left corner.

I am going to play around a little more and report back.

OK, here's an update on this if anyone is interested...

We have not resolved the RS6000 wrapping issue and Oracle are slow in offering any suggestions so, after a gap of a few weeks to do other things, I switched attention to the smaller batch machine which is a Windows server. Here I've had better luck and managed to get it working properly.

I think the key is the fact that it is easier to get the printer definition correct on the Windows box as it's just point & click.

I am still persuing the RS6000 solution.

Back