CNC architecture

soyer

Has anyone seen any CNC configuration where they implemented JDE EnterpriseOne Production(PD) Enterprise server in one site and the DV/PY server on another site (over a WAN connection - external data center )?
If yes, were there any performance issues with OMW promotions, package builds etc ?
Where did they place the Central Objects (all on the PD machine?), Deployment Server and the CNC Admin machine ( pkg build machine) ?
Any other concerns, please let me know.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, we've done that and with an extra Deployment Server as an added bonus. We eventually moved the DV/PY Deployment into the same data center as the QA/PD Deployment Server.

Package builds were run on the deployment servers for full builds, and update packages were performed on workstations housed in the data center closest to the specific environment we built for. In other words, we used remote control software to connect to a PC in the QA/PROD data center to build QA/PD update packages.

We kept the DEV database in the same physical location as the DEV Deployment Server, so the only negative was promotions from PY to QA. We kept the DV and PY Central Objects in the dev database, and separate from the QA database and PROD databases which were close to the QA/PROD Deployment Server.

Performance in this scenario is dependent on WAN speeds between data centers, which is going to be your bottleneck even with a DS3 link. Over long hauls, WAN *latency* is going to creep in over long distances now matter how much bandwidth you have.

Hi

I dont have any experience with setup you are planning to implement... but
based on my knowledge of JDE achitecture... i came to these conclusion...

1. Question to ask.... where will your deployment server sit? will you
have 1 of each site that does replications?
where will the Database sit? I assume you will be
splitting the DB to 2 sites
where will the develop work? where will the
promotion execution be done?

basically the speed of the promotion will be based on the location of the
DB & Deployment server... Logic server is not a problem in promotion,
except during package building & deployment.

hope this helps

soyer <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
08/29/2007 04:15 AM
Please respond to JD Edwards?EnterpriseOne

To: [email protected]
cc:
Subject: CNC architecture

Has anyone seen any CNC configuration where they implemented JDE
EnterpriseOne Production(PD) Enterprise server in one site and the DV/PY
server on another site (over a WAN connection - external data center )?
If yes, were there any performance issues with OMW promotions, package
builds etc ?
Where did they place the Central Objects (all on the PD machine?),
Deployment Server and the CNC Admin machine ( pkg build machine) ?
Any other concerns, please let me know.

Thank you for your comments.

An approach I have taken a number of times is to have 2 dep servers 2 enterprise servers, DV & PY on one system and PD on its own. Seperate DD OL and SYS per systems, Central Objects per path code. Then I used product packaging for promotions from PY to PD, I had a seperate PC to do the Product Package build, the dep servers can be then used for all package builds.
Remote desktop was used to connect to the different environments depending on what was being carried out.

Hope this helps.
cool.gif

Soyer,

We have a setup like that. Been that way for over five years. Our enterprise server is a cluster, one node in building A, the other node in building B. There is a high speed fiber connection between the two. The two data centers are one mile apart.

SQL is set up with multiple instances, each managed in it's own cluster instance. Cluster resource 1 manages the jde services, SQL, prod business data, and central objects. Cluster resource 2 manages the DV and five PY business data databases.

The two nodes are both beefy enough to carry the full load, but our usual configuration is to have the cluster node for production running in the primary data center, and the cluster node for DV and PY run on the cluster node in the secondary data center.

We split out terminal servers between the two centers, ditto with remote development fat clients. This gives us a nice disaster recovery capability. I wrote a nice article on how we have that archetected for JDEtips. Email me offline and I'll send you a copy if you're interested. [email protected]

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Thank you for the replies.
Did you seperate the common objects (SYS7333, OL7333, DD7333) into two Enterprise servers or shared one over the WAN ? If seperated, did you syncronize them (how?) or not ?

Thanks.

Back