Unix printing not working on 8.12

Ritchie_

Well Known Member
Hi,
on our HP itanium installation (8.12)(lets say server name is UnixES) we're trying to set up printing.

Now the Ubes run fine but when we want to print it to lets say \\nldataap07\P7675 (printer defined on a W2003 box with createForm) it comes back with
5552/1 MAIN_THREAD Mon Aug 6 09:38:30.692425 ipcmisc.c299
process 5552 <runprint> registered in entry 34

5552/1 MAIN_THREAD Mon Aug 6 09:38:32.174442 jdekprnt.c3954
KNT0000156 - Print request failed 256. printer: \\NLDATAAP07\P7675 print file: R014021_ZJDE0001_45462_PDF

On the \\NLDATAAP07\P7675 nothing arives

We have no idea why..
may someone can also enlighten us on how to setup a printer properly in Unix.

BTW also the weird part is that when I create the printer in EO8.12 as HP9000 I see it back in the list as Linux... is this normal?

Unless you have installed SAMBA on your HP-UX host it is not going to recognize a windows UNC printer name that points to a remote windows printer.

I can't speak for CreateForm virtual printers but in the case that I want to print from a Unix host to a Windows Priter I would either install SAMBA on the HP Unix host or install "Print Services for Unix" on the Windows 2003 host and expose the printer via the line printer daemon (LPD) that "Print Services for Unix" installs. I personally think the second option is the easiest and means you don't have to install another package on your Unix host that will have to be patched with security fixes.

Once you have installed the LPD on yor Windows box you then add a remote printer definition to your Unix host. Lastly you need to create an E1 printer definition of the Unix type that matches the name of the remote printer definition. This will not be in the Windows form of \\SERVERNAME\PrinterShare.

You can ignore the changing of HP9000 to Linux when you save the printer record. In past versions if you entered SUN or RS6000 it would change to HP9000. Now it changes to LINUX. The 8.12 printer wizard in fact still says "HP9000 will encompass all (Unix) platforms" I hadn't noticed the new behavior until you mentioned it. All the Un*xes are handled the same when printing so the LINUX reference is fine.

We have both Samba (as we also need to access file shares) and on the CF server we have LPD installed..

Any Idea which ports then should be opened between the Unix box and the w2003 box? they like firewalls here very much
frown.gif

For LPR/LPD I believe it is port 515. There may be a need for other ports however. For Samba to the Windows host it would be port 139 and I think maybe 137 and 138. I am not sure if other ports are needed for the actually printing connection to a windows share.

We print directly to the physical print device from our UNIX Enterprise Servers. This means there is additional queue and driver maintenance, but you will not have a failure in JDE on the UNIX server if your Windows server goes down for maintenance or patches (Patch Tuesday anyone?)

We've got it working now.
Would have been easier if we would have created the printer on the correct Unix system as in being the one we tested with..

Thanks anyway!

Back