Question - how do you train your Xe/ERP8.0 staff ?

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
Obviously JDE (Oracle) isn't offering any CNC courses it seems anymore - and certainly they're not offering courses on Xe/ERP 8.0 any more.

But there are still a ton of customers out there that still have Xe/ERP 8.0 and often need to train up staff as CNC Administrators - especially when people leave.

So the question is - how do you get your training for these people ? Is there any demand for a once-a-year CNC training class for older versions of OneWorld like Xe/ERP 8.0 ? I'm asking because a couple of customers have asked me recently, and I've pretty much drawn a blank, short of holding another class myself !!!

(I almost died during the last class I held in 2002.....!!!)

Jon,

I am quite sure that there are a number of small and large Oracle business partners that would be happy to put on a CNC class. There are also business partners that would offer a mentoring process for companies that want to hire someone new to the J.D. Edwards software products. The mentoring provides an opportunity to customize the training to meet the needs of the current implementation.

I am sure that few would be as thorough as you, because there are not many people with the depth of experience you have gained. However; there are a number of consultants that are competent as teachers\trainers as well as implementers.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to be of further assistance.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously JDE (Oracle) isn't offering any CNC courses it seems anymore - and certainly they're not offering courses on Xe/ERP 8.0 any more.

But there are still a ton of customers out there that still have Xe/ERP 8.0 and often need to train up staff as CNC Administrators - especially when people leave.

So the question is - how do you get your training for these people ? Is there any demand for a once-a-year CNC training class for older versions of OneWorld like Xe/ERP 8.0 ? I'm asking because a couple of customers have asked me recently, and I've pretty much drawn a blank, short of holding another class myself !!!

(I almost died during the last class I held in 2002.....!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, I have mentioned this for a couple of years now - they (Oracle) are not making any new CNC's. Back in the glory days at JDE we were hiring and training (formal and OJT) new CNC consultants by the dozens. Most of those people have now left and Oracle doesn't seem to be minting new CNC people. As a result, the knowledge now lies with those early people and the people at customer sites they trained.

Interesting dilemma no?

Jon,

Fortunately this is a problem we haven't had to deal with here due to zero turnover in our little JDE group. But we have used outside training for other areas than CNC. Klee & Associates offers basic CNC courses per their catalog. We used them for a user manufacturing workshop recently and were very satisfied with materials, instructor, professionalism, etc.

I didn't see anything on their web-site for web (WAS or OAS) training - but given their size (amall and nimble) I'm sure they could come up with someone who provide that also.

Regards,

[ QUOTE ]
Jon, I have mentioned this for a couple of years now - they (Oracle) are not making any new CNC's. .... and Oracle doesn't seem to be minting new CNC people....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, that shows a strong committment to the JDE product line, doesn't it? Jon does have a good point though. There is a very large group of customers, my company as an example, that are on XE and will be staying there for several more years at least. There is a void in the market for training replacement CNCs for XE/8.0. Ditto on developers, but there are a lot more developers around than there are CNCs. Always has been, always will.

An esteemed colleague of mine noted that a lot of smaller shops that do not have a full-time CNC on staff, they outsource that. But that still leaves a void for bigger companies that require replacement CNCs. Very interesting in deed.....

Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jon, I have mentioned this for a couple of years now - they (Oracle) are not making any new CNC's. .... and Oracle doesn't seem to be minting new CNC people....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, that shows a strong committment to the JDE product line, doesn't it? Jon does have a good point though. There is a very large group of customers, my company as an example, that are on XE and will be staying there for several more years at least. There is a void in the market for training replacement CNCs for XE/8.0. Ditto on developers, but there are a lot more developers around than there are CNCs. Always has been, always will.

An esteemed colleague of mine noted that a lot of smaller shops that do not have a full-time CNC on staff, they outsource that. But that still leaves a void for bigger companies that require replacement CNCs. Very interesting in deed.....

Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

I have believed for about 3-4 years now that JDE realized (with customer input) that the technology piece of E1 was entirely too burdensome and they have been working to minimize that impact. Simply put, they would like to see the need for a "CNC" guy to go away as it significantly adds to the cost of an E1 system.

It is very difficult to get E1 technology training courses these days.

[ QUOTE ]
I have believed for about 3-4 years now that JDE realized (with customer input) that the technology piece of E1 was entirely too burdensome and they have been working to minimize that impact. Simply put, they would like to see the need for a "CNC" guy to go away as it significantly adds to the cost of an E1 system.

It is very difficult to get E1 technology training courses these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I've known about THAT since 6 months after joining JDE ! When I first joined JDE, CNC was going to be the "new big technology" blah blah blah - and that the company was planning on hiring literally hundreds if not thousands of CNC consultants to meet the insane future demand....

After the 1997 kickoff however, everything changed - and instead of hiring CNC consultants, JDE would outsource all CNC requirements with outside companies such as IBM and other partners. The problem then was that none of these companies were interested in hiring large numbers of expensive technology consultants - and because of this, the quality of CNC support slid from bad to worse...

However, I'd say categorically that Xe and ERP 8.0 was the "least" cnc impact - the latter products require a LOT more technical input and hands-on experience. So even though JDE would like to see the technology people "go away" - the issue is that they keep introducing more and more complicated technology pieces !

This is called the Technology Gap (!)

Anyway - my question wasn't specifically about Web/HTML or 8.96 toolset management - you can actually get good training from Oracle and there are classes scheduled for 8.96 CNC.

However, I was wanting to know if there are companies out there with Xe/ERP 8.0 training needs, where sending a new staff member onto an 8.96 training class is probably not suitable....

GBSynergy used to do some CNC training. I'm not sure what their course catalog offers today. They will work with their customer to tailor the training to their needs.

What was it that almost killed you? Did you have a couple students go gonzo on you
laugh.gif

I did the CNC training for JDE in Denver from 1999 - 2001. I agree, sometimes the students can beat you down.

I was waiting until someone asked that question.

Heres a set of pictures that tell the story. I thought it might have been fun, since we were in Colorado, to take all the students on a nice rafting trip on the Arkansas....

http://spla.sh/inaraft/

The water was much higher than usual that year - there was an insane amount of snowmelt. Anyway, I had done the trip before and knew there was a section where it was possible for a rafter to jump overboard and go down a set of rapids on their back. Last time I had done it, it was a lot of fun and almost everyone lazily drifted down the rapids on their rears.

This time, however, I jumped into the freezing river - bobbed to the surface and watched my raft go down. I realized I was the only one to jump, and also that it was a LOT rougher than I remembered. I exaled - ready to go down the rapids, when just as I was about to breathe back in, I felt a bump on the back of my head and everything went dark....

I realized that another raft behind me had run me over, and suddenly we were going down the rapids together - me underneath the raft. I tried to grab the raft and pull it towards my feet, each time getting pushed down to the rocks and back up again to the bottom of the raft. Finally, at the bottom of the rapids there was a lot slower water - and I managed to surface just behind the raft that had run me down.

There was a lot of panic in the air, people shouting and some of the passengers screaming. The entire episode had taken only 12 seconds - but it was a very very LONG 12 seconds !

Afterwards, my students had the audacity to ask whether they would have gotten a refund if I had actually died halfway through the course. I replied that they would have gotten credit for the next training session.........

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Afterwards, my students had the audacity to ask whether they would have gotten a refund if I had actually died halfway through the course. I replied that they would have gotten credit for the next training session.........

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO

On the rafting trips I had been on, if you end up under a boat, the guide says walk your hands along the bottom of the boat in one direction only. They never mentioned how to deal with it when your being slammed between the boat and the rocks. Geez!!

believe me, you learn fast in that position !

The first reaction I had was to try and move the raft to my left - kind of pointless ! The next reaction I had was to "walk" using my hands underneath the raft up behind me so I would pop up behind the raft. That was the right thing to do - but believe me, travelling at speed down the rapids its not fun !

It took them quite some time to lift my fat rear end back into the raft....I was completely exhausted !

[ QUOTE ]
I realized that another raft behind me had run me over, and suddenly we were going down the rapids together - me underneath the raft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez Jon - I've heard of being between a rock and a hard place - but the expression wasn't meant to be taken literally....

Back