upgrade & migrade JDE

pter

JDEListers,

We are planning implement EO 8.11 for upgrading OW b7322 and also migrate from Win2K/SQL7 to HP-UX 11i v3 / ORCL 10g.

Our current Apps & Dbase process in a single server, IBM xSer360 2X2.8G 2M 4GB (86863RQ) direct connect to IBM storage FASTT600 (1722 60X).

We are planning on switch server as follows :

Rx2660 HP-UX 2 core (1.6 Ghz) Db server

Rx2660 HP-UX 2 core (1.6 Ghz) Apps server

Rx2660 HP-UX 1 core (1.6 Ghz) Dev server

HPDL380G5 5150 2G Web & Deploy server

Our current implement only Finance & Distribution with 60 users and we are planning implement manufacturing system, total users become 150.

Please give use hardware advice / your experience about:

1.. Moving platform
2.. rx2660 HP-UX/ORCL for EO
3.. Our configuration plan
Thanks in advances

Wahyudi

OneWorld B7322 Win2000/SQL7, WTS Citrix & Fat Clients

This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Re: upgrade & migrade JDE

It seems to me that you're looking to migrate from an Intel platform - the IBM XSeries 360 which currently is a dual processor machine through to a Unix platform - HPUX, and you'll also be migrating SQL to Oracle at the same time.

Wow. So what is prompting the move from SQL to Oracle ? If Oracle themselves are "cutting a deal" - remember, cost alone is far from the reason for a platform choice or change. You're on a very old version of SQL Server currently - SQL 7.0 - and SQL 2000 and 2005 are far better database platforms. You were also running B7322 and are now looking at 8.11/8.12 - again, that is a huge leap, and performance at the database side will improve dramatically just at the foundation code level.

If you have Oracle skills inhouse, then the choice for Oracle is a good one. Again, if you have HPUX skills inhouse, then its also a good choice - BUT, if you don't have either skill already, then you will find it to be a huge challenge in acquiring those skills and supporting the configuration.

220 users on SQL Server is easily achievable - I currently have customers with more than 500 concurrent users on SQL Server with a good architecture.

BUT, I also have customers with THOUSANDS of users running on Oracle / HPUX configuration. Its certainly a lot more expensive to run that platform - but it is very scalable and if your comfort level is with unix/oracle - then that is as good a platform as any.

I would be concerned about the dual core database server - I certainly would prefer to see more than a single dual core processor being used. The same goes with the application servers (I presume the "DEV" server is just another application server).

You must not combine the web and deployment server. Oracle will not support you. Go out and buy a small server with lots of disk space on RAID5 - thats good enough as a deployment server.

It is a good idea to use Intel boxes as web servers, they're a lot cheaper and I think you're going to need a lot more than 1 for 220 users. Others might disagree, but end-user performance is going to SUCK compared to your Win32 configuration on B7322 with a single box. You haven't told us what Web server you're going to - either way, they're both memory hogs. You need a lot more than 2Gb of memory.

What SAN are you going to use for your database ? That is a critical, critical decision to the performance of OneWorld - please don't go out and architect RAID5 , you need to find RAID 1+0 or RAID 10.

Lastly, remember you will no longer have citrix servers - so whatever the configuration of those boxes, you'll either be able to throw them away or re-use them in the new configuration as webservers or web generator boxes.

Hi Jon,
The reasons why we move from win/sql to orcl/hpux are performance and scalability.
You must be right, we will be a huge challenge in acquiring orcl/hpux skills and supporting the configuration, is it more complicated than win/sql? How about the cnc?
My plan 2core db server and 2core apps server will be clustered with hp mc serviceguard, do you concerned to small. What is your suggestion?
We are going to use HDS storage subsystem 10 X AMS 146GB FC 15K RPM mirroring, is it ok?
I didn’t know that the web and deployment server must be separate, that’s good advice.
According to the consultant EO 8.11sp1 is stable than 8.12, could you advise me for my case. Thanks for your advice, your opinion really helps me a lot..

Regards,
Wahyudi
OneWorld B7322 Win2000/SQL7, WTS Citrix & Fat Clients

[ QUOTE ]
The reasons why we move from win/sql to orcl/hpux are performance and scalability

[/ QUOTE ]

It is understandable that you have performance issues with B7322 running on SQL 7.0 - but 8.12 running on SQL 2005 would demonstrate a MUCH higher scalability and performance - to the point where it is hard to really distinguish the performance difference between a high end Oracle system and SQL 2005. All platforms these days can perform and scale to as high as your requirements are.

[ QUOTE ]
2core db server and 2core apps server will be clustered with hp mc serviceguard

[/ QUOTE ]

Clustering and high availability, in my opinion, are actually better on Unix than traditional clustering (passive clustering) with Microsoft. However, saying that, Microsoft has certainly made some huge strides in recent years - there are third party active clustering solutions, and now Microsoft has their "compute" parallel solution (which we all hope will end up supporting SQL 2008!). I think its important to look into active clustering technologies with Microsoft if you have those skillsets internally.

[ QUOTE ]
we will be a huge challenge in acquiring orcl/hpux skills and supporting the configuration, is it more complicated than win/sql? How about the cnc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oracle skills are traditionally far more expensive than Microsoft skills - as are Unix skills. They are rarer as well, given the fact that the market is swamped with MCSE's in comparison to the very few Linux/Unix personnel out there. Oracle is much more "hands on" - the real positive side of Oracle is how you can tune the database server, and the same goes for Unix as an operating system. The problem comes when you need to tune the OS or the Database - and your guy doesn't really know what he's doing ! At least with Microsoft its very difficult to make a "serious, unrecoverable" mistake - with Oracle on Unix, its a lot easier to screw up if you have root access....

[ QUOTE ]

We are going to use HDS storage subsystem 10 X AMS 146GB FC 15K RPM mirroring, is it ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

No - absolutely not. You have been talking about performance and scalability throughout this thread, and all of a sudden you throw a small disk system ! It seems to me that your hardware provider has spent time trying to come under a certain budget that you have proposed - and putting together 10x146Gb hard disks is absolutely showing me that they've saved money in the most critical place - the storage.

The HDS System is certainly a very scalable solution - but I'd rather see 40x36Gb drives as opposed to 10x146Gb drives.

As anyone will tell you - the number of arms is critically important in any database system. At best, your 10 disks will end up as RAID 10 - ie 4 volumes mirrored/striped with parity - a total volume size of 600Gb. Not a lot of space at all.

Given the fact that you need to place your Oracle archive logs on separate disks than your data drives - you'll end up with even less space and it sounds like your hardware provider is trying to sell you a RAID5 configuration.

I'll also say that for your size company, the HDS is going to be a challenge. Its a Virtual Array storage solution that is very cutting edge - a little TOO cutting edge maybe ?

Lets give you a comparison. For one customer recently, they purchased an HP EVA 5000 stacked with SIXTY FOUR x 72Gb 15K RPM Fiber Connected drives. A Total of 4.6Tb. Carving this out to a SQL Server (or to Oracle) meant a total usable space of around 3Tb once all the mirroring and parity's had been taken care of (their production database is 200Gb, and they have 5 copies of this for CRP, Development, Training, Conversions and Data Warehousing).

Total cost ? Under $200k.

Interesting enough, you can buy the same configuration on ebay from an HP vendor for around $50k these days - and the equipment would STILL BE UNDER WARRANTY !

[ QUOTE ]
EO 8.11sp1 is stable than 8.12, could you advise

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure where your consultant got this information - he might be right, he might be wrong - it all depends on the functionality you are deploying.

I would recommend that if you are upgrading, you upgrade to the latest version - which would be 8.12. During your conference room pilot, you will encounter "issues" and problems and Oracle will absolutely be more keen to help a customer on the latest version than one on an older version. It removes the ability for their support department to say "well that was changed in 8.12 so you need to upgrade..."

I wouldn't be surprised, either, if you see a "SP1" coming out within the next couple of months for 8.12 - certainly Oracle want to be able to promote the fact that their product is absolutely the most stable thing out there.

Financials is financials. I'd say that any version above B7331 is completely stable as far as financials is concerned. There are definitely changes to manufacturing, however, that occur between 8.11 and 8.12. Lastly, you'll be on the same service pack release between 8.11 and 8.12 (the technology foundation) - ie, 8.96 - and the foundation is far more critical in the stability of a product if you ask me. Once you install the thousands of ESU's for 8.12 and you're on 8.96, then you'll be about as stable as you can get ! After that, its up to your implementation team and Oracle !

I think your company should rething its strategy of moving away from SQL Server to Oracle - instead you should be thinking about a large clustered SQL Server solution to provide the stability, reliability, scalability and performance and you will be able to utilize your existing skillset. Once you venture away from Microsoft into Oracle, you'll need some very experienced personnel to tune the database and operating system - and you'll be seeing lots of little scripts to assist with the non-application side of the system (such as backups and general nightly tasks).

Don't get me wrong - I like Unix AND Oracle, in fact I personally prefer it over all platforms - but for a company with less than 500 concurrent users, I just don't see the justification. You'll end up, with the budget it seems you have, with a small unix system that barely keeps up with the number of users you'll expand to - in comparison with a huge wintel system that can expand to thousands of users.....

Back