Database Passwords

pauer

Does anyone know of some documented guidelines for changing passwords on user accounts like DEVDTA, DEVCTL and DV7334?

I am not aware of any documentation.

Except the user JDE or PSFT (depends on the release), you can go ahead and change those passwords. (syntex varies by database).

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of some documented guidelines for changing passwords on user accounts like DEVDTA, DEVCTL and DV7334?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall correctly, on older versions of E1 (Perhaps prior to 8.9 or so?), if one changed the database passwords for the referenced accounts you could not run R98403 on tables owned by them. This has been corrected.

All the passwords for the table owners in the database can be changed. These passwords need to be declared in the jde.ini on the DEP server so that ESU's can continue to run.

In ERP 8 the passwords are still hardcoded to look for crpdta in order to run R98403...I will test in 812 to see if it is still the case. We had changed passwords but had to change back to crpdta to run R98403.

Under 8.12/8.96 and above R98403 still tries to use the OWNER name as the password when accessing the target datasource. It would be nice if Oracle would allow us to create proxy user records for this purpose. Until that time though you can definitely override the passwords in the JDE.INI by creating the following stanza and populating as needed:

[DSPWD]
PRODDTA=thepassword
PRODCTL=anotherpassword
PD812=secret123
... etc.

Besides having to store the password in clear text another drawback to the DSPWD feature is that you cannot have a different password for a given owner by datasource. So for instance at one of my more complex E1 sites I have multiple database instances with different passwords for PRODDTA. I have to alter the JDE.INI DSPWD section when changing my R98403 target to another database instance.

From my experience the DSPWD feature has been available since XE as of some service pack. I can't recall which service pack delivered the feature but it should work at more current tools releases > SP20 if not at earlier tools releases.

Back