Unable to view random pdfs

coco

Users intermittently get the error:

"The file c:\b7\printqueue\'reportname'.pdf already exists in your printqueue (in use or read only) and can not be updated. Please remove it and retry"

when trying to view pdf's they submitted (via WTS).
The file exists and can be viewed on the server.
Anyone seen this before?

OW B7334;SP22;Win2K3;SQL2K

Not sure when this changed but at some point this message started appearing after a tools update, I suspect, but I don't know which one.

What that message is telling you is that the user has already retrieved the PDF from the server and has it open in Acrobat Reader and the process can not replace the file because it is open in that screen.

So all they need to do is close the message box and go to their reader window and the file should be there - but it may no be the current document when they get there. Or go to the reader and close the file or all files and then get it from the server again.

I believe at one point the process that tried to put the file on the local C drive simply saw it was there and did not try to replace it and simply changed the focus to the reader.

Regards,

Dave Schlieder

This can occur on Citrix (WTS) if any user has the file open, not only the user who is having problems accessing the file. Another remedy I've seen used in the past is to remove the file from the users home directory "PrintQueue".

Back