Roles and Business Unit Security.

CNC Monkey 5000

Hi everyone!

8.12 update 1 / 8.96g1 - Oracle 10gR2 - All Windows (32)

I am getting ready to impliment BU security to keep records for our different offices safe. Our JDE consultants have stated that I will need to apply the row security to each user, and I made the point that it would be much easier to create a role for each office, apply the BU security to those roles instead, then apply the roles as secondary to each user. When I asked, our consultants told us it wouldn't work that way, but couldn't exactly explain why. (maybe from past experience they had trouble)

Obviously, I'd like to avoid user-level BU security. Does anyone have any ideas about how I might accomplish that, or know the technical reason why it wouldn't work role-based?

Thanks in advance!

This is because at the role level, only one of the business units declared for the role will be used. Usually, this is the business unit that is highest in the hierarchy.

When we moved from Xe to 8.12 we were really excited about implementing business unit security. Then we tried to use it
crazy.gif

Oracle support pointed us to solution id 200801233. If you read it, you'll see that it's not worth using until it is redesigned.

Thanks for the replies... And I should have qualified more. We're using manual ROW level security to get the job done. Does anyone see a reason why we can't apply specific ROW level security to a role, and have the user log in with *ALL to include that extra security? Our consultants think that there will be menu issues, stating that each role must be able to stand on it's own, and have a menu applied. I don't think there is much way around it, but that's why I was asking JDElist! Thanks all!

Back