Is Page Break in a .CSV file possible

DEV K

I have created a new report for vendor mailing list. the report breaks on ABDC from F0101(Description Compressed).
The level break works fine in a PDF file but when i'm trying to output the same to a .CSV, it doesn't maintain the page break. Tried on the Level Break Header first it didn't work then i tried forcing in a detail section and in a conditional section..nothing worked..can anyone please advice if its ever possible to maintain a page break while trying to print in .CSV file. I would really appreciate if somebody can help me..

Thanks in Advance
we are on 8.10.

Thanks,
Dev.M
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

In short, no.

.CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. If you open a .CSV file in notepad you will only see values and commas (and maybe quotes around text fields.) What you won't see is formatting of any kind. The original purpose of .csv files was to move data between applications in a standard way. Along comes Microsoft and decides that Excel should be the default program to open .csv files thus making most post-Microsoft computer users think it is an Excel file. It is not. See this Wikipedia entry for more information.

So since there is no formatting information in .csv files you cannot send page break info in them. It is up to the receiving program to format the data. I would guess that you are using MS Excel to open these files. I would suggest creating a macro that inserts page breaks based on changes in a particular column. Once formatted of course the file data would have to be saved in a format other than .csv to keep the formatting, possibly .xls.

I don't have it handy at the moment, but I recall the JDE docs saying that page footers won't be output to csv at all, and the page headers will only ever be emitted once in CSV.

Back