Prompt if HazMat?

mgerritt

Well Known Member
We have the need to ship some of our products as HazMat. This is new to us and we are struggling with the process. One thing that would help is if JDE World 7.3 (cum 13) could be tweaked to notify our order entry team on-line that an item was going to need HazMat handling, as they enter the order, so that they can explain to customers that something cannot ship overnight, or other restrictions. I have coded all Hazmat with a Shipping conditions code that represents the Class and Packing Group. But the SHCN is hidden in the order details screen, and isn't much help to Order Entry. I'd really appreciate if anyone who has had to support HazMat could share their wisdom on how to tweak World to better support special conditions. Thanks.

Have you considered loading an Item Flash message for your HAZMAT items? That should alert your order entry folks.

Thanks for the response Mike. I have considered flash messages. Maybe there is a trick I don't know, and if so please help me out, but as far as I have been able to tell, flash messages only appear in the inventory (4101 and 4102) screens, not in the 4211 and 4210 Sales Order screens. Can I make the message flash in the Order Entry screens?

Marc,
I'm embarrassed. The documentation suggests that if an item has a Flash message, the message displays, or the item number highlights, and we ca n access the message by placing the cursor on the item number, and that is the way I remember it working many years ago in A6. I haven't used o r tested flash messages in years, and find now that it doesn't work as a dvertised, or as I remembered, at least not in my standalone version of B7, which should be compatible with A7. I do not have access to an A7 e nvironment for testing. But I did a little digging, and testing ib B7 ( Xe). The flash message data item (IFLA) is contained in the F4102 file, but it did not populate (default) from F4101 when I created a test item .
Because SO transactions are specific to the BP, it stands to reason that if the BP record is not populated with an IFLA value, the SO entry will not trigger the flash message. That is a quick answer that provides a p alusible explanation as to why it is not working, but we need to dig dee per and answer some other questions to get at root causes:
Why is the IFLA value not defaulting from the F4101 record? Is that del iberate or a system defect?
Assuming it is not deliberate, as a work around, can we manually populat e the data item in the BP record? From what screen? If there is no main tenance screen, can we use a World Writer or SQL to do it?
If we do somehow populate the F4102 IFLA field, will the system then wor k as described in the documentation? Does the described functionality ex ist?
These are questions for you to research on the Knowledge Garden or throu gh tech support. I'm sorry that I can provide no further assistance at this time. Perhaps a tech-savvy JDELister will see this and jump in wit h some help for you.
Good Luck!

Mike Shapiro, CFPIM, CIRM

-- mgerritt <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for the response Mike. I have considered flash messages. Maybe th ere is a trick I don't know, and if so please help me out, but as far as I have been able to tell, flash messages only appear in the inventory ( 4101 and 4102) screens, not in the 4211 and 4210 Sales Order screens. Ca n I make the message flash in the Order Entry screens?
Marc Gerritt JDE WorldSoftware 7.3 cum 13

Back