Do I need to perform 2 Serialized Object Gens????

msouterblight1

VIP Member
Hello,

We are testing both WebSphere 6 and OAS JAS servers in our environment. I was wondering if I can use the same set of serialized objects for both, or if I will need to do a gen for WS6 and one for OAS.

Thanks....

No. You can't use the same serialized objects because the 2 products use different JDK's.

You need to create a seperate set of objects for one of the products.

As for the "testing" we can save you the trouble. Both products perform equally poorly if untuned and perform equally well if tuned.

Your choice should really depend on what else you have in your environment and your comfort level/exposure to the different technology stacks.

Colin

Matthew,

In theory you should not need to generate two sets of objects, as long as they are both on the same tools release.

When you do a fresh install, JDE provide a set of serialised objects to use straight out of the box. At that point they do not know what web server you are going to use, and no matter whch one you use they say that you can run the web client straight away, so you would presume it is not web server dependent.

Colin,

You got me real interested ;-)

I didn't expect any dependency on JDK. These two tables do not appear to contain anything to suggest such dependency to me.

This could of course still be the case, so my question is: are you saying this from experience - have you seen any issues with this? Or from an official word from JDE - do they have any docs on this?

Both........from experience and the "official" word.

The OAS and WAS platforms use very different JDK's.

WAS with 6.0.2.13 uses the 1.4.2 SR 5 JDK however under WAS policy you can update the JDK to the latest release and you will be supported. This is also supported by JDE. The latest JDK for WAS is 1.4.2 SR 7 which comes with 6.0.2.19 (first available). WAS 6.0.2.19 is not supported by JDE but you CAN install the latest fix for the WAS plugin where like the JDK the latest available is always supported by both IBM and JDE.

As for OAS, OC4J 10g R3 (10.1.3.2) if you ever installed standalone then you'll know that OAS uses the Sun JDK. I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure that OAS is "tied" to the Sun JDK that it came with (you actually download it from Sun).

IBM being "special" have made there own JDK which is not the same as the Sun JDK. The 2 don't play nice together and will likely never be friends.

As for the generation you need 2 different eGenerators (atleast up to 811) -->One that uses the IBM JDK and one that uses the OAS JDK.

Kinda confusing since with E812 you have the "auto generation" which leads us to the question............what @$!# JDK is the Enterprise Server using with 812?

Thanks to everyone for your replies. This is what I suspected, we need 2 sets of serialized objects. I had already started going down that path and using snapshot to create a WebSphere gen install and an OAS gen install on our gen system. I also realize that performance is based upon tuning and that no matter which platform we choose, we will need to tune properly. However, we can't just force a new platform in this organization, the powers that be have stated that we need to install both and test side by side.

As a side note, it does appear that OAS is easier to setup, and that it is much easier to create clusters with it.

Thanks....

Yes, that's tru and if doing Gen from both, you'll certainly need two Gen machines, but do you really have to have two sets of serialized objects tables?

I would have thought that a single set can work with both types of JAS servers. The data may be SP-dependant, but I just don't see how it's also JDK-dependant...

I installed both Websphere 6 and OAS.

Generated objects using websphere and those objects are working fine on OAS. same way generated objects from OAS and those are working fine on Websphere.

Great! I thought that the s/o tables' data should be JDK-independent and you are confirming that it is. Thanks.

Back