UNIX - JDE Logic Server Timezone

lknet

Hi,

This is my first posting to jdelist.

I had been seeing CNC consultant configured multiple JDE instances with different timezone running on 1 HP-UX box.

Each of the JDE instance startup with different UNIX user id, and the UNIX user id .profile updated with export TZ={timezone} parameter to achieve timezone changed.

But, when I post the question to Oracle Support Center(Singapore), the support consultant advised to have multiple physical servers to achieve multiple timezone.

What do you think? Is it a proven resolution by changing UNIX user id timezone to achieve timezone changed for JDE on UNIX platform?

Regards,
LKNET

Yes- you can do that - but I'm sure its "recommended" just to have the single user and use different servers for different timezones - purely because JDE tries to support all the platforms in a similar way, and your user timezone solution wouldn't exist, say, in a Windows setup.

However, if its working for you, don't change it !

Just curious to know how many of you achieve changing JDE logic server timezone in UNIX through the UNIX user id and not the UNIX OS timezone.

I think I can see what you are trying to do. But its bad.

You see, if you have nightly scheduled jobs running (which usually posts many of your transactions) - those would run for a certain timezone. Are you trying to create a 24 timezone system ? JDE really doesn't like that, and I think you'll just end up with a real mess that will cause you more issues, not less.

Ideally in a centralized system you want a single timezone set up - usually based on the geographic location of that centralized system. Then you can correctly create a batch window - and, of course, this might impact users in the middle of their day if they're located on the other side of the planet. You just have to architect the system so that the batch window is minimized for those users.

If, however, you try to keep everything seperated by timezone - then you're ending up with seperate systems that do not interconnect.

I usually use a single timezone model and educate the users and the business. That way, everyone is relatively happy.

Incorporating the TZ in .profile of each user instantiate JDE in only a server of Logic, you will not have problems.

thank you for the feedback.
laugh.gif

Back