Install of a new AS400

rcandeo

Well Known Member
We intend to buy a new AS400 and I need an orientation about the steps to put my actual OneWorld Xe, SP20 in this new machine.
Our current AS400 is with V4R5 O.S. and the new one will come I think with V5R3.
I remember that Xe, SP20 is not compactible with V5R3, so I want to know if I make a fresh install in the new AS400 with the latest SP of OneWorld Xe and copy my data libraries is the only think I need to do.

If your new 400 is going to use a different name from your current one when you go live with it, be sure to change any files with reference to the old machine, like the System tables and Vertex tables, if you use it, and of course INI files. If you're going to keep the same name, then it should be a pretty straight forward copy.

Oi Robson

Como vei? I would go up to SP 23 for the install. Make sure you apply the ESU for the security changes.

Tchau,

Gregg

What I would do is upgrade your implementation to SP23 - be careful about the security changes to F98OWSEC (back up the file before you update).

You will then need to backup/restore the libraries from your old AS/400 to your new As/400 - if you are changing the name of your enterprise server, that is a LOT of nasty SQL you have to go through - so best thing is not to change the name of the machine if possible.

Just adding to Jon's comment........

the easiest way to get one AS/400 to look like another is to do a RISC to RISC migration or "previous to current release". Very easy. Just basically do a option 21 save on the V4R5 box and then do a restore on the new box.

Forget the fact that the new i5's can only run V5R3 or V5R4 just do the restore.

Next just reinstall V5R3 on top of V5R4 and voila done.

Ok there are a few more tricks but this is the just of it. If you just want to sewap out the iSeries.

Colin

Thanks all for your answer. Will be very useful.
Best Regards.
Robson

Back