How do I make an application available to the Windows Client in 8.12?

msouterblight1

VIP Member
All,

I am in the process of performing a CRM migration to 8.12 (I previously upgrade EOne DV to 8.12). The migration guide says to run an application, but when I run it on the fat client, I get a pop up stating that the application is only available for the web client. When I access it on the web client, it does not work, I get a grid with 1 column and no text. My suspicion is that this was supposed to remain a windows client application, but they flagged it as a web client application. On 8.9, we could specify where the application ran using the Category Codes tab, but Client Platform is no longer an option on the Category Codes tab in 8.12.

Anyone have an idea of where to set this, so that I can flag it to run on the fat client?

Thanks,
Matthew

This is the field in the F9860 table

Its in table F9860, Field SIANSIF. A Value of W means Web Only, blank is both. I think that a C is Fat Client only

Thanks for the info... From everything I've found, the only way is to SQL it??

In other news, when I set it for fat client only, I got an error stating that the grid information could not be initialized. Seems to be an error with the application in 8.12. I searched for an ESU, but there wasn't one. Hopefully they'll be able to fix this one quickly.

Gotta love EOne...

Thanks for the info.

Not sure why I modify this field for certain applications so that we can debug them on a fat client, in fact we created a little app that does the switch for us and we had no issues changing the field at all.

What DB are you one...I just used enterprise manager and run a query to select the object and change the field to blank.

We are on Oracle. I don't have any issue with updating the DB, I was just wondering if there was a supplied app. that we could use.

Thanks,
Matthew

You can be almost certain there will be no supplied program to make this change. Oracle doesn't want their customer end-users running 8.11 and above on Solution Explorer. Support nightmare.

I've heard about a customer in Houston that spent 3 months converting all of the web programs to run on the fat client, including testing the programs, etc. I would probably quit if my employer decided to do that.

Hi,

Do you know "why" does not oracle support applications running in a Fat Client enviroment?
I think that it is a "madness" to use all aplications on Fat Client but, in some cases, it's very good to dispose a program to user runs temporary in Fat Client. For example: The user needs to do a Business Unit (F0006) load. He has the values in a excel sheet. I'll dispose to him a Fat Clint "just" to do the load (because it's very easier and faster to work in a Fat Client with excel sheets). After this, I'll take him the Fat Client.
If I change the "flag" in order to application runs in Fat Client, do you know if it can generate some problem? Can it affect my enviromet or the application? Do you have some document about it?
I really appreciate your cooperation.

Regards

Hola Luis,

The reason for web only for clients is something called "power forms" that was introduced in the 8.11 version. There is no equivilient to a "power form" for the fat client. Oracle wants to focus their development on the web based client, just like on their other apps, Peopleshaft and E-Biz. Fusion will be a web based client interface. The fat client is still around because of the legacy JDE tools. You can only change so much at a time. You can take this to the bank, Fusion will not have a "fat client."

Saludos,

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Back