Object (interactive or batch version) Change Process - 8.12

camo

We are in the early stages of upgrading to 8.12 w/ TR 8.96.1
We are new to the web client environment.

One of the first things we have noticed is the overhead involved in changing anything, particularly batch or interactive versions that require testing before promoting to PROD. We have become quite comfortable with the old windows client where you could change and test in one complete process.

The process we are following (involving package build and deployment, webgen, test, promote, and do all over again) seems overly convoluted when 99% of the time we are just wanting to change IV or BV processing options and data selection.
Can anyone offer a procedure they follow for object change managements that we can verify against ?

Thanks in anticipation

CAM

Couple of things....with 8.12 you do not need to do a web gen to test, you can just build and deploy the package and let the system do the real-time gen. Also your developers can verify the changes on their webdev client and then you can promote to PY so that your users can test. It is good change management practice to start/do all development in DEV and then promote from DEV up.

[ QUOTE ]
We are in the early stages of upgrading to 8.12 w/ TR 8.96.1
We are new to the web client environment.

One of the first things we have noticed is the overhead involved in changing anything, particularly batch or interactive versions that require testing before promoting to PROD. We have become quite comfortable with the old windows client where you could change and test in one complete process.

The process we are following (involving package build and deployment, webgen, test, promote, and do all over again) seems overly convoluted when 99% of the time we are just wanting to change IV or BV processing options and data selection.
Can anyone offer a procedure they follow for object change managements that we can verify against ?

Thanks in anticipation

CAM

[/ QUOTE ]

Things changed a bit with 8.12/8.96 with dynamic generation and auto package discovery. This really has an impact on our CNC processes.

Below is some rough notes I have made concerning the new features. They may or may not be correct and items with a question mark mean that I have to do some further testing prior to my considering it a "Jeff Rule" and verified correct.

===========

8.12/8.96

With auto-package discovery and Dynamic Web Generation

Reports
=======

DV812

First time access
Dynamic Generation

Build and deploy to enterprise server(s) and object is available
Auto Package Discovery

PY812

Build and deploy to enterprise server(s) and object is available

PD812 Version Data Selection can be changed without build + deploy

Applications
============

DV812

Manual generation?

PY812

Promote and object is available

First time?

Second time?
Get Specs
Manual generation?
Plus cache clear or instance restart

DD Changes
==========

Gen after R92TAM

Don't want to hijack the thread, but did you say...Dynamic Generation???? Does it work for all packages, or just full package builds only?

I knew I shoulda come out from under that rock (in the cave, on the deserted island)sooner...

[ QUOTE ]
Don't want to hijack the thread, but did you say...Dynamic Generation???? Does it work for all packages, or just full package builds only?

I knew I shoulda come out from under that rock (in the cave, on the deserted island)sooner...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it is pretty cool. One of the major benefits of 8.12, it works along with automatic package discovery and XML Metadata (Specs).

Attached you can find 8.96 pre-release and release notes documents that touch on the new features.

Attachments

• 120630-E1 - 8.96.zip
    778.7 KB · Views: 119
Hi,

there was an advisor webcast on this a couple of weeks back (JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.12 Package Build Under the Covers).

Follow this url to view the archived presentation. It is in audio as well so you can get further explanations of the powerpoints shown.

https://conference.oracle.com/imtapp/app/arc_det_hub.uix

Conference id 69496952 (the conference key is in the notes on the page that is presented to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

there was an advisor webcast on this a couple of weeks back (JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.12 Package Build Under the Covers).

Follow this url to view the archived presentation. It is in audio as well so you can get further explanations of the powerpoints shown.

https://conference.oracle.com/imtapp/app/arc_det_hub.uix

Conference id 69496952 (the conference key is in the notes on the page that is presented to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else having trouble finding the webcast? I'm not real good with this technology stuff....

Lets try the old fashioned way instead:-

Login to Customer connection
Left hand side of page in the Find What You Need box choose Advisor Webcasts.
From Advisor page choose link to Archive (at top of page)
Choose Access the archive link.
From the Archived Public Conferences page choos link for Last 1 Month.
It is the 6th in the list.

Back