8.12 Installation Planner

PDizzyD

PDizzyD

Ok, so I am pretty new to the CNC field but have been developing for several months so I am at least familiar with the E1 fat client and the web interface. I have been asked to take on all the CNC duties for the group and have decided to set up a lab so as to not take down the production environments while 'learning'. I must add that I am not new to networks, servers and programming, and even integrating to JDE, but the CNC stuff is almost completely new.

The lab is all VMs using VMWare. I have three servers all W2K3 SP2, one for DEP, ENT(SQL 2005), and the Web (OAS). I have installed everything following the standards and have applied all the TR pathces and everything is up to 8.96.1.1.

I am using the Install Guide from Customer Connection along with all the Implementation Guides from otn.oracle.com/documetation for 8.12.

The installation planner keeps giving me grief when I try to add a server and it prompts for a Location. The planner database does not have an initial record you can use and the thing keeps throwing an error when trying to leave the Parent Location blank, since this would be the first record in the table. To get around that I added a record to the F9654 in the JDEPlan on JDELocal. Is there another way to do that?

Second (after just hacking the locations table) I ran the planner, following the manual to the letter. When running the planner it fails because of data source stuff, and the verifcation report only shows one data source <ServerName> - 812 Server Map. Do I need to add all the data sources manually for the PS and the PY I am trying to install? My understanding is that I need Business Data and Central Object data sources as well as my DD, OL, SY and Versions. Does the Installation planner not create all those things for you? If I do need to add them, what program (fast path) can I use to get that screen?

Thanks for all the posts, this a great resource.

Ok, me again. If I leave the Location code blank it does not require a parent location. That makes sense. As far as the other...I will try the planner again and see if it at helps.

Alright, so apparently you don't want to mess with the Locations Master (F9654). I guess I would never think of myself as knowing enough to be dangerous...

By not putting a location code in the Location Revisions screen (P9654A) it clears up the first part of the problem.

I am thinking that since it did not see it as a remote location it was not appending the Location Code to the default environment, a.k.a., PY vs. <LOC Code>PY and could then use the Data Source Templates By Environments table?

I am going to guess that if I ever need to setup a remote location I would need to have a template for that or just create all the datasources manually.

Thanks for the sounding board...

Back