Order Requistions

ssolberg

VIP Member
I'm familiar enough with these to be dangerous but a new question has come up that has me stumped. It appears that the existing way Requistions are done are very much "supplier # and part number" based. What I mean is that in order to fill out an OR, you have to supply a "supplier #" and then some part numbers.

What has come up is that for most all cases, our part numbers have a supplier # attached (at the branch level) to it and we also may have a contract setup in JDE for that part/supplier as well. So the question becomes, "why can't I setup an OR without having to know a supplier # since that is all on the part in the first place?". The example they give me is "the guy out in the field could care less where the part is coming from, he just wants to requisition these 10 parts. They might come from 5 different suppliers because of best pricing (or contracts or just preferred). The "buyer" would simply have to review the OR's that are out there (by their buyer # or supplier # for example) and "approve" them and create the necessary PO's.

I've read up on things and am I just missing something here? It seems like I can't really do what they are asking of JDE? Am I making sense?

This is really an intresting question.I feel there is no simple procedure fo this but I can think of one way to do this. If we have a 'dummy' supplier to enter the requisition, requisitioner can enter with the items what ever he wants to buy. Approver can approve without having any problem, but difficult part is at the time converting the req order to actual PO, manually change the supplier information. This way requesters don't have to worry about the suppliers.

I am sure there should be a better way than waht I said.
Feel free to reply.

Thanks,
Uma

For requisitions, have users use the buyer number as the supplier number
and the buyer uses the purchase order workbench to select the final
supplier, the catalog and final price. This is the recommended process in
JDE.

Guy Robert
Syntax.Net

I am familar with the approach both Uma and Guy have taken, in fact we essentially use Guy's approach at one of our companies already. Except... how do you use the Workbench to look up Requisitions that have been entered? You can't "inquire" by Buyer (or anything else)? It is just and "entry" screen. I believe our "buyers" currently have the same approach but you have to go through the "Generate PO's from Req's" process to change the supplier, then generate the PO. I'm interested if you do it differently.

On another note, I've done some more digging and found something that should help me out. When we first looked at the Workbench, we didn't really think of it from possibly a "Requisition entry" standpoint but obviously it can be used for such a task but it still requires a Supplier # as part of its process. Or does it...!? My first thought was that with little modification to P43101, we could default in the Supplier # from the branch (it is already doing lots of other things from the branch) and it might just work for us. Then I thought I would do a quick SAR search and sure enough, this "enhancement" was already done in Cume 17 for A7.3. I think I'll put things in and see how it works!

Now the only thing I think I wish the Workbench did is allow you to default in a Buyer Number so that you could use the Gen PO from Reqs more "powerfully". Users generate a bunch of Req's (various suppliers all defaulted in from branch), now buyer goes and is able to call up all Req's by Buyer # to see what they have to research and turn into PO's.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

I'm a bit rusty on this, haven't worked on it for a while, but can't you use Routings for each Buyer so that the Buyer can see those requisitions that are for them. They can then approve or reject them and convert them to PO's, selecting the Vendor at the same time.

Hello all,

just to contribute to your post and highlight some difficulties i faced in the past.
I've tried to implement the use of a dummy supplier for OR, supposed to be updated by transforming the OR into an OP. The problem I had is that the supplier number was updated but all the data coming from Adress Book (payment term, Tax Code...) remained the same (of the dummy). So I had to give up this option, be careful.
On an other hand, if you want to do it "full JDE", I think the standard way is to use an OR, raise some quotations OQ against different suppliers, select the OQ with the supplier you want to purchase to and then transform the OQ into a PO. Maybe in this process, the update of the supplier details from the OR to the PO is done properly, I've never had the opportunity to test it though.
Hope it helps.
Cheers.

Back