Sandbox for testing upgrade to E1 8.96

Beta_Carotene

Beta_Carotene

I am confronted with having to replicate our core configuration to a sandbox for testing. The sandbox currently consist of a deployment server and an AS/400.

Our Central Objects are on a SQLSVR database and all other system information is on an AS/400.

Short of replicating the entire configuration, that is, duplicating our SQL database, and the entire tree structure of our deployment server, I am seeking advice on ways that this might be best accomplished.

I have considered using Environment Database Creation to move our Central Objects to the AS/400, (this was explored in a previous post for application to our production configuration and is still planned but is planned to be implemented later).

The challenge / concern, at this point (probably a lot more then I am seeing now), is for the Planner database and all of the ESUs that have been applied since 'go-live'. The intention is for not losing any of our customizations, and not losing the adjustments we've made for the ESUs applied.

The very best advice usually received through responses to JDEList postings. There are several ways of accomplishing this, I am sure, but rather than hodge-podge this together, I am hoping to share in the benefits of your expertise. Please advise, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Beta.

You should move your central objects back onto the As/400 if at all possible. Thats not a very good way to store central objects...

Jon, I could not agree with you more. As soon as this 8.96 demonstration is complete, moving the Central Objects to the AS/400 will be my very next project.

For this challenge, I am thinking that the following approach might work...
-Having a mirror image of our current deployment server restored to the new machine
a. Pointers to our SQLSVR database would be taken care of by the ODBC definitions already present and expected to be included in the restore.
b. Limiting the scope of issues to updating the Registry, ODBCs, etc. to just having to adjust machine names and IP addresses where different – these are expected to be highlighted by any errors or warnings that come up.

* Benefits are retention of all changes in Central Objects, all ESUs – as layered, and ‘stuff’ for creating the target 'test' environment.

- Using our most recent AS/400 full system backup to restore all of our configuration specific libraries, IFS entries, etc. to the Sandbox/400.

a. This will allow us to retain all of our System, User, Security, Roles, and Mapping information
b. This will also limit the scope of addressing differences between the two machines.

* Benefits are retention of all ‘System’ information

It has been noted that there will be differences, but this provides a way for us to not have to reinvent the wheel. Adjustments to machines names, and IP addresses will be addressed as they arise - and I'd like to think - more quickly.

These are to be minor challenges in consideration of all that is being retained by this setup approach.

The SQLSVR database, in this case, would not have to be replicated and to this point, no restrictions have been found in our ‘sharing’ this aspect of our configuration. ODBC’s will handle the pointing to and communications from SQLSVR.

I know that its not nice, but this is what I have come up with. Am I oversimplifying this? I can't just cut and run. Thanks.

John,

can you explain the issues with cross-platform storage of E1
Data/Objects/Stuff. I'm interested in hearing why - examples, too - if you
have them.

(db)

primarily ?

Apart from the cost and manageability aspect ?

I think common sense needs to be followed for most of these poor architectures. Most of these are left-overs from pre V4R5 days when it wasn't possible to store the >32k BLOBS on an AS/400. We're past those days now - and if this user is running 8.12 - then he's obviously also upgraded recently too. Unless his primary database is SQL Server (which doesn't sound like it) why store his central objects on a SQL server ?

The better question is "why would you do something like that" anymore ?

Back