Package compression takes very long

Joel

Well Known Member
Hi,
We are seeing package compression issues during our Client Full builds. It takes 1.30 hours on an average.
We are on 8.96.E1 tools release ( Windows 2003 server). Is there any way to speed this process up.

Regards,
Joel

Hi,

Check that the AntiVirus is not scanning neither the
\E811 share nor the %temp% folder.
Run a monthly defrag on your Deployment disks and
check that its disks are below 80% utilization.
Once you reach 80% disk full, its performance goes
down quite quickly.

Hi,
We dont have any anti virus running on the deployment server since the machines are in a work group and not yet attached to the domain. Also we have used some bench marking tool which shows that our drives are performing good.
We are submitting the buil from the deployment server by logging into DEP env.

Regards,
Joel

What does your disk and volume configuration look like? Most synthetic benchmarks aren't worth much. Which benchmarking tool did you use?

I've seen a full client package compression take only 30 minutes in a similar configuration, but without knowing your disk config, its hard to guess what could be wrong.

What are the specifications of your deployment server ? Processor type/speed ? number of processors ? Amount of memory ?

1.5 hours might sound long - but if you're using a 200MHz Pentium Pro, then its running really fast !

Secondly - what version of oneworld are you running ? Do you have languages installed ? The later the version, the more "bulkier" the spec files (theres more code) - and adding extra language packs fills the spec files up even more !

Hi,
The deployment specifications are good enough. See below details. The only constraint maybe that the servers are VM Ware on San Hitachi.

OS - Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Dual Core AMD 2.76 Ghz
RAM - 3.75 GB

----------------------

Disk performance using our benchmark tool

Cache Test...
Total Time= 8.000000

Write Data to Disk 1.2 GB...
Total Time= 43.000000

Read Data from Disk 1.2 GB...
Total Time= 12.000000

Random Read Data from Disk...
Total Time= 12.000000

Total Time All Tests= 75.000000 seconds.

[ QUOTE ]
The only constraint maybe that the servers are VM Ware on San Hitachi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. VMWare is going to have a performance issue vs a standard deployment server.

You do have antivirus turned off during the package build - correct ?

Well we have other VM Ware setups in 8.11 that are working just fine with the package build performance.
Moreover if VM was the issue it should have affected the package build performance on a whole and not just the compression. On knowledge garden there ws something that compression is done internally by windows so i'm thinking if i need to do some settings to enhance the performance.

We do not have any anti virus installed since the machines are in a workgroup and not joined to any domain.

Back