/jde/owportal vs. Websphere Portal

markdcci

markdcci

Owner - Rockford Consulting LLC
Hello List,

We are Xe, SP23_K1 trying to go to a newer service pack (R1, I presume). We will also be upgrading WAS from 5 to 6 to stay current.

Although we have IBM Tech Foundation I have never installed the separate Collaborative Portal/Webpshere Portal. Our employee self service programs seem to work fine with just the WAS Enterprise/PME install by going to /jde/owportal.

Is there a pressing reason to go to the trouble of installing the Websphere portal vs. the "basic" (although complicated) Enterprise/PME installs? What is the advantage/requirement to use the Webshere Portal?

Thanks.

Xe, SP23_K1
AS400, V5R3
WAS5.0 running on Windows 2003

The /jde/owportal is what is sometimes called the "classic" portal. My understanding is that it is no longer actively supported. Existing XE/ERP8 clients who have been using the classic portal are still supported in principle but there is no more development effort going into it. I personally think it is a shame as the JDE portal was simple and would do the job for many sites.

Have you been using the classic portal all this time or are you just considering using portal technologies? If you are not currently using the classic portal I would suggest that you should go with WebSphere portal 5.1. This is the only portal technology now listed for XE on the MTRs

Justin,
Thanks for the clarification. To answer your question, we have been using the "classic" portal for several years. We hadn't planned on implementing the Websphere Portal unless we had to.

When I see the complication of installing the Websphere Portal, I'm not sure what I gain for that aggravation. It's easy enough to add links and components to the classic portal, so I'm not sure I need much additional development from JDE/Oracle other than to make sure it continues to work. I guess we'll have to deal with it when we upgrade off of Xe.

Thanks again.

Back