Re-Indexing Index Defrag and index tuning

Radjammin2

Well I would not be suprised if there is a thread on this though I didn't see one?
confused.gif

Re-Indexing, Index Defrag, and Index Tuning.

Right now the company I work for is starting to ramp up on JDE utilization and I wanted to see what the forum concenses is on this area of DB performance tuning. My situation is on MS SQL so I guess I can only relate to that.

Now I know you can do single table re-indexes in OMW but which tool should I be using to batch it. Report name? And how aggressivlly should I be re-indexing? I have to say I have enough work, I don't need to break anything to keep busy...heh.

And what about index tuning, I have done some trace files and run them though the profiler but I don't feel like I get the best results on recommendations.

And what about Index Defrag in MS SQL? I was doing some test defrag and the Page Scan Density does get much better, but is this change effective? With SQL Caching will I notice a responce in performance?

I guess for me I like to read and I don't follow the "just because" mentaility. If my ways not working, I wanta find the better way.

I'll check out that UBE and the Maintenance plan is a good recommendation too. It says it re-indexes so I assume that's a fancy word for drop and recreate, without sounding so destructive.

I did notice your setup, Adrian_Chimirel , any benefit from running IBM HTTP 2? I inherited JAS on IBM HTTP(that's just a branded version of Apache, right?), My previous experience had been with IIS other then my personal site is hosted on a hoster's Apache, for cost reasons.

Back