Text Media Object field not displayed on Web

CNC Guy

Well Known Member
Hi People,

We have a strange issue here. Our Text media objects aren't being displayed. Basically the TEXTAREA field is not displayed for editing and there is a Cross sign which shows (the one which is displayed when the Image it is pointing it is unavailable). This is happening only on WEB across all environments. Cleared Cache but of of no use.

The same TEXT attachment field is available via Citrix. Also checked the Text Attachment path.. i.e.

//DEPSERVER/MEDIAOBJ/TEXT

Any clues?

Thanks,
CNC Guy
E1 8.10
UNIX, Websphere 5.0.2
UDB DB2

CNC Guy,

Does the web server have access to the deployment server?

Hi,

I suspect this may be due to missing Active X control(s) that are required to run E1 on Web properly. We had a similar issue at our site following a Tools Upgrade. The Active X components should get pulled down automatically but security policy / browser security can hinder this - as was the case at our place.

Go to Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Settings (under Temporary Files) - View Objects. Here you should find at least one entry like 'JDEWebRTFEditU Control'. If it's not there, that might be your issue.

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

Peter,

Our Webserver in hosted on a UNIX box. and the Dep server is of course Windows. so how do I check it?

Thanks,
CNC Guy
E1 8.10 UNIX Websphere 5.0.2
UDB DB2

Sanjeev,

This looks like our issue as well. I checked and there isn't a file like that in our Object list. Just some JRE and Shockwave files.

What can we do to get over this?

Thanks,
CNC Guy

You need to set up your webserver to ftp to the Deployment Server, we had to do this here....

Also, if you are using a combination of fat clients and web clients, you need to have the fat client users store their Media Object attachments out on the Deployment Server, or wherever your media object queues point to...

Here is the text from the Knowledge Garden:

SOLUTION ID: 200986769 E1: MOBJ: How to setup Media Objects for HTML Web Server on a Unix or AS400

ISSUE:
How do you setup Media Objects for HTML Web Server on a Unix or AS400?

SOLUTION:
By default, media objects are stored on the deployment server running a Windows operating system. Unless the Unix or AS400 server that hosts the HTML Web Server is able to map a network drive to the deployment server with a read/write authority, FTP protocol should be used to store and retrieve media objects.

To prepare an FTP Server for Media Objects:

Follow the instructions below to add the FTP Server component to the deployment server. These instructions assume that the deployment server is running Windows 2000 Professional.
 Open Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel
 On the left hand side, click Add/Remove Windows Components
 Select Internet Information Services (IIS)
 Click Details button
 Select File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Server
 Click OK
 Click Next and finish the component installation.

Follow the instruction below to set up a Media Object directory on the FTP server
 Open Internet Services Manager from Administrative Tools in Control Panel
 Start the Default FTP Site
 Right click at Default FTP Site
 Select New -> Virtual Directory
 On Virtual Directory Alias screen, enter B7334 for ERP 8, B7333 for Xe, B9 for EnterpriseOne 8.9, E810 for 8.10, and E811 for 8.11
 On FTP Site Content Directory screen, browse to appropriate B7334, B7333, B9, E810, or E811 directory
 On Access Permissions screen, select both Read and Write
 Click Finish to finish the configuration

To configure HTML Web Server to use FTP for Media Object storage and retrieval in the jas.ini, modify the following parameters in the [OWWEB] section:

UseMOWinNTShare=FALSE
FtpPort=21
FtpUsr=anonymous
FtpPwd=anonymous

You may replace 'anonymous' with the appropriate username and password if you set up a security on your FTP server.

Understand Queue Path setting in F98MOQUE:

Use UPN convention for the Queue Path in F98MOQUE. For instance, if your deployment server for ERP8 is DEPSRV, your queue path should begin with \\DEPSRV\B7334. To use this queue path, the HTML Web Server connects to DEPSRV using FTP on the port number specified in the jas.ini, and logs on using username/password also specified in the jas.ini. Then the HTML Web Server tries to change the current directory to B7334. The B7334 virtual directory must be available under the Default FTP Site.

To test your FTP site:

On your HTML Web Server, use an FTP client and manually connect to your deployment server using the information specified in the jas.ini. Change the current directory to B7333, B7334, B9, E810, or E811. Test putting and getting a file to and from the server.

Hi,

As a test, try getting Administration rights to a desktop where you can replicate this issue or get an Administrator to login and then try it. If the issue is resolved, you'll find the Active X component installed if you look in 'View Objects' again.

Then you have two options: grant temporary rights for users to install Active X components (might not be acceptable) or get Network Administrator to 'package' the Active X stuff and get it pushed out to all machines (we did this).

The files get loaded from the WebServers as a 'one off' activity. Without these, you'll find you will also have issues with import/export functionality.

The attached document from the Oracle site might be useful to you.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

Attachments

• 119856-E1 Active X components.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,661
Thanks Sanjeev. I checked on another machine and I saw those ActiveX components in the location and was able to see the field since I was a local admin on that machine.

so looks like this indeed is the issue.

Thanks again.

CNC Guy

Have similar issue, made setup for FTP, the files get written to the target server but we cant see it "File ot found" error.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Have similar issue.
Setup FTP, files get copied to target server fine, but we cant see the document, always get "File not found" error.

Any ideas.

Thank's

I, too, am also having the same issue with my media objects. I am running WebSphere on a Unix box and want to store the media objects on the deployment server.

When trying to attach a file, I get the 'Not Found' error window and the text comes up and says "The requested URL was /jde/moqueue/{servername}/E881/MEDIAOBJ/HTMLUpload/FILE-###-##-###-##-###################.doc was not found on this server."

What disturbs me about the above message - is it says THIS SERVER. For people reading this with the same or similiar configuration, what do you have for a path in the JAS.INI under the [OWWEB] section?

I ask because after playing around, I got 'not found' error to go away and it displayed the file but I had to put in the following path: /e1/WebSphere/AppServer/installedApps/{servername}/EA_JS_82.ear/webclient.war/moqueue.
The BIG PROBLEM with this now is - not only is the file now being saved on the deployment server BUT it is also saving a copy on the Unix server, too.

My Unix guy is not real keen on this so I need to figure out how to stop it from saving on the Unix server. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?

Hi,

I do not know if you have manually edited the entry in this post too far, BUT from what I can see I would say that you have setup the path incorrectly. Part of the path you are showing us says E881 when I suspect it should say E811.

Was this a typo by you in the post or in your P98MOQUE path setting?

Correct - that was a typo just in the post. The path in the INI is correct. It should be E811 not E881.

Hi there -
Just an update on this issue... I did open a call with Oracle on my problem. The response back I received was:
"The system will upload the file to the temp folder on the HTML server and then the file will be copied to the deployment server for permanent storage. The file on the web server is a temporary file used to speed the access to media objects and for uploading new objects.

For instance, the next person to attempt retrieving the media object will trigger a comparison from the jas server to the deployment server, if there is no change to the object, then the file is retrieved from the queue on the web server. If the file is different, then the updated file will be retrieved from the deployment server, copied to the web server, and then shown to the end user."

I asked if this is functioning as designed and his answer was yes. It just bothers me that the media file has to exist on both servers. So for instance, we have 4 JVM's which means that if the media object is used frequently, we will have a total of 5 copies of this file.
frown.gif

I did test deleting the object from the HTML server in this temp location. Then went back into OneWorld and retrieved it and it did display so it worked and pulled the copy from the deployment server. When I looked back on the HTML server, I found that it put a copy of this file back into this temporary location. In order to save disk space on the HTML server, we will probably delete all the files in this folder occasionally since the files get brought back in as needed anyway.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the information I found out. Have a good one!
grin.gif

Resolved my issue, here is what I did.
We have 6 JAS clustered on 2 physical server.
The moqueue in the 3 (of each physical server) jas.ini has to point to a location under the master JAS ( not a cloned one) and also be in the allowed zone of HTTP.

So in my case I put c:\WebSphere\AppServer\installedApps\SERVER1\AS_JS_81_server1.ear\webclient.war\moqueue in the first 3 jas.ini and c:\WebSphere\AppServer\installedApps\SERVER2\AS_JS_81_server2.ear\webclient.war\moqueue in the last 3 , used the ftp method to save the file to the server.
Work's great, now we can save and view from any of the 6 JAS.

Print Media Object Text As It Appears On The Application\'s Row Attachment

Requirement: To print the text attachment on the report/pdf as it appears in the row attachment. This means if the text is made bold, and the font size is set to 20 and its underlined the report should also display the same.
This should happen irrespective of the variable property.
Thus is there a way where we can understand at run time the font properties of the text in the attachment so that the variable property too can be set as same to display as what you see at application level?
or any other means to achieve the same ?

Function used: Media Object GT4211A system function: GT4211A : Get Text

System: 8.11 - Windows + SQL Server

Would appreciate an information/help
Thanks in Advance

Back