Live from the Chuck Phillips Keynote at Collaborate 2007

cmanderson

VIP Member
I'm sitting here at the keynote, hooked up on my notebook via EVDO, and thought I would try to be the first to post what is being announced. So far, two "surprise announcements" have been promised, and as some know there is the "Project X" business which Oracle posted to their website last week.

I'll edit this post as the announcements are made....

Update 1:
OK - so far lots of talk about open and standard. I'll try to keep awake at least through the first announcement. Complete and open, completely open...zzzz...

Update 2:
...zzz..."no, no, I'm just resting my eyes"...zzz..

Update 3:
OK, I'm back. Still nothing. Their support policies and price hikes are a win win situation for everyone but the customer...(NO he really didn't say that...)

Update 4, Announcement 1:
corny drum roll....

Project X = Oracle Application Integration Architecture

Oracle has built, guess what, an OPEN platform for integration. All Oracle applications, extensible to third party and legacy apps, built on open standards based middleware, upgradeable, common object model, etc.

How are they going to do this?

- Core objects - Extensions Framework Preserves Changes (Apps Unlimited, Fusion Apps)
- Extended for Industry - Industry reference models, customizable by the customer, business objects will be preserved through upgrades)
- Pre-Built BPEL Based Integration Across All Oracle Applications
(Basically, Oracle is building integrations between their own apps, for instance Siebel to i-flex, Siebel to Banking Apps, etc.)

Update 5:
Customer Testimonial Video narrated by a guy with a British accent, ostensibly so that we feel safe in the knowledge that this is a smart move on Oracle's part and therefore it must be good for us to eat...after all an American accent wouldn't sound as "smart".

Update 6:
I'm still waiting for Gregg Larkin to run up on stage and wave to us while wearing his TN polo shirt...

Update 7:
[Fast forward to Collaborate08 in Denver...Chuck Philips says to ignore everything you read on JDEList. The fact that he even knows about JDEList is the most shocking surprise of the entire keynote.

Aw...

I wanted to be first...never mind...

I'll hit you with spit wads to keep...you...awake...

Oracle is good...
Oracle is good...
Oracle is good...

wake up !

he's talking about project x

oracle application integration architecture.....

all apps
3rd party extendible (open)
open standards based.....
upgradeable

so what is THAT ? fusion middleware ?

ok -

'core objects' - that's like foundation code -right

then 'industry specific' that's like application code - right ?

so it seems to me what we're seeing is a push for fusion middleware with pre built brokers for the standard apps. kind of obvious really. so this is just really further down the path - the standard integrating brokers for jde,oracle apps and psft - with a new name or am I wrong here ?

Charles, Robert and Jon,

Keep it coming. What one of you misses the others may get. I (and probably a lot of others) appreciate the updates/information as it is not possible (long flight and lost of $$$$) for me to be there.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Project X...is so...beautiful...

NO, WAIT! Project X is...people!

Whew, that was a dream...now back to Chuck's PiPs and sustainable integration...

just remember the borgacle mantra....

'open and standards based'

someone should keep count of the number of times chuck is saying this. I lost count.

'open and standards based','open and standards based','open and standards based','open and standards based','open and standards based'........

I think its all that stuff but more - like for instance a JDE to GLOG interface (Advanced Transportation to a Transportation Managment System). Nothing wrong with getting the integrations pre-built rather than rolling your own.

resistance is futile...

Nothing really earth shaking (Oracle wants to be completely open - that's a relief)...

it appears that the message is the middleware..."if it was a separate company, it (the middleware leg) would be the fastest growing company in our (software) industry's history"

makes you want to go out and buy the stock (if not the software)...

hee hee

'the book....its a... cookbook!'

'open and standards based'

hey standard midleware platform - isn't THAT 'open and standards based' ?

ok - I wanna know what 'fastest growing middle suite in the industry' means ? I mean, if I sold one copy of an 'open and standards based' product tomorrow - yet hadn't sold one before - wouldn't that be te fastest growing products...

oops

standards are important - damn almost missed that. just like the 50' slide stating that being open is also important. hmm wonder if there is a message there ?

Nice catch
cool.gif

all over - phew

everyone went in normal - now the mantra is growing here as the crowd surges towards the exhibition hall....'open and standards based'......

well see you at the booth guys !

Was it me, or did "Master P" kinda talk fast when he was making a point?

Charles - I was in the third row, but was afaid of the bouncers. Here is my blog:

Collaborate ‘07 Keynote presentation

Over 7000 attendees between the three user groups

Oracle Busines in concentrated in Three buckets
• Database – core business
• Middleware – newest business, things that were in applications or databases are now in the middleware. That’s what they are building their future direction around
• Applications - going to continue to grow, will continue to add applications specific to industries

They are working to build scale – in applications, databases, middleware

They want things to be complete and open – build things as suites, follow standards.

They are engineering complete stacks

Last year they announced applications unlimited. They have been enhancing their products, creating integrations. They have been growing their middle ware offerings. Their middleware sales now account for over a billion dollars of business.

This year they are announcing Project X

What is Project X? - the oracle application integration architecture

An open platform for integration – integrate oracle applications, other vendors applications, and custom applications.

They are defining Core Objects – defining hundreds of business objects. Extend the objects by industries, customers can extend the objects. Extensions will be preserved across upgrades. This direction will be the genesis of Fusion.

Pre-built BPEL – example, integrate Siebel to Oracle. They will provide prebuilt integrations across applications using Open, standards based.

This strategy is based around their middleware – they compared themselves against netweaver. They are more complete and follow standards.

They think they can build the integrations better because they have the infrastructure and applications.

For more information, go to Oracle.com./applications/project-x.html

Hey,
i think you guys are putting some real efforts to keep us updated who are away from Collaborate.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Lenly Hensarling presentation

Here is the gist of the Presentation from the JDE VP

JDE keynote – Lenly Hensarling

Applications unlimited is now one year old – continuing to invest in the product. Strong ecosystem –

At the time of the Oracle acquisition, most customers were on XE. “there is a stronger movement to 8.11 and 8.12. 8.11 is the new XE.”

“28% of the customers are on 8.11 – 52% of the customers are on newer releases.”

A large chunk of their business is going through the vendors – the model has changed to a stronger emphasis on partnership relations.

They are making investments in the Oracle campus.

They are looking for customers to move from XE to 8.12 or if they are on World, move to A9.1. “make a choice – move away from coexistence”

ERP gets on the Bus – Passing ERP
XPI integrations were a good first step, but it didn’t work well with upgrades. The new philosophy will embrace standards, so the integrations do not need to be rewritten when you upgrade.

The Bus is the Enterprise – Lenly

ERPs were initially for managers to look at their results after the end of the quarter. Then it reached into the manufacturing floor. Then it reached in customer self service apps.

The extended value of ERP – they extended JDE with CRM. They are now able to extend the application to small hand held devices. They are going to set up an architecture to connect the whole breadth of the Oracle applications. They are making the data more visible. They are creating dashboards to have real time visibility to dashboards.

They are doing packaged integrations to multiple applications. They learned from customer experience in how the integrated Seibel and Demantra and other applications. They are building the integrations.

They will be building business services and the business objects.

They are building the development tools to integrate web service integrations into OMW and the development tools. This can be deployed to Fusion middleware or Websphere.

They have improved the Rapid configuration to get a company online faster. They have an off-line tool to configure the application easily.

For current customers – they have built a better “change assistant” to help you locate and download ESUs. They have done a lot of work to get rid of “special instructions”.

New investments in JDEdwards – operational sourcing, food and beverage, government contracting, time and labor. They are coding 9.0 and are planning out 9.1

They went on a buying binge to gain critical mass – they are focusing on specific market verticals, to be the number one in the various verticals.

Fusion strategy – they are doing integrations between applications, so you can start to buy just a piece of fusion and integrate that back into your application. They are looking at customers to have mixed environments in short term, eventually moving to a full adoption of Fusion over time as they develop and perfect it.

Back