Project X ? Whassat ?

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
ok - so Oracle is announcing "Project X" next week at Collaborate.

http://www.oracle.com/applications/project-x.html

So - in the general light of all things, I thought it might be fun to guess what "X" stands for. Any ideas anyone ? Definitions ?

Howabout "X"cluding TomorrowNow from conferences ?

Or how about "X" - what most Fusion developers are these days...

It's when Larry Ellison reveals himself to actually be Magneto.
wink.gif

I hope someone slams Oracle for their lack of originality. Doing a quick search on wikipedia, Project X could refer to:

* A military project by Nazi Germany's Aviation Ministry to develop a rocket-powered interceptor aircraft.

* A United States political scandal involving controversial technology administrator Laura Callahan, who allegedly threatened subordinates with jail if they did not conceal computer problems leading to the disappearance of thousands of subpoenaed White House emails.

* Project X, a code-name for the Manhattan Project.

* Project X (band), a late 1980s New York City hardcore punk band.

* The Apple HotSauce software was called Project X in early stages of its development.

* Army Foreign Intelligence Assistance Program, also called Project X which supplied training materials to allied militaries around the world. The declassified Torture manuals were developed from these manuals.

* Project X (TV show), a popular Japanese television show about projects such as the creation of cup noodles (and, I guess, ERP software ?).

Magneto?

Anyone less than Lord Vader would be a shattering disappointment ;-)

"Give yourself to the dark side"...

Well, no matter what it is, my bet is that it is Open, Standards-based, and Service-oriented!!!!

Can they even define what that means in english???

It's a whole bunch of nothing.....

[ QUOTE ]
Well, no matter what it is, my bet is that it is Open, Standards-based, and Service-oriented!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the new link: http://www.oracle.com/applications/project-x.html

I think your guess is correct. Here is the hype -

[ QUOTE ]
Minimize Risk—Quickly achieve end-to-end business process with existing assets that survive upgrades
Protect investments—Maximize the value of your IT investments through, proven industry best practices
Accelerate time to value—Leverage a pre-built, open, and standards based architecture

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess - hosted Fusion

I know I'm doing the faux pas here - by quoting myself - but I thought a little more about this :

[ QUOTE ]
* Project X (TV show), a popular Japanese television show about projects such as the creation of cup noodles.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I typed this, it came to me that Project X might actually be an "Iron Chef" style competition between ERP Implementation Managers ? I can just imagine -

Chairman Ellison now announces todays secret software....and its EnterpriseOne ! The competitors have 60 minutes to install the software, get it correctly set up and correctly set up interoperability to Fusion Middleware ! The winner will, of course, win people's ovation and fame forever...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed -

I AM your father...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I'm guessing that you'll be heading over to the Star Trek experience at the Hilton......
http://www.startrekexp.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife, and JDEtips Editor, is now wondering what she is getting into by coming along to the conference. "oh no, I'm going to a nerd convention"....

[ QUOTE ]
My wife, and JDEtips Editor, is now wondering what she is getting into by coming along to the conference. "oh no, I'm going to a nerd convention"....

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse. Its a nerd convention that is filled with Accountants and beancounters.....

Perhaps Project Hex or Project Vex will be a more appropriate term.

Will this be another 'IT' kind of hype - "Great cities will be built around this invention" - which turned out to be a Segway ?

Gurus, don't forget to post some photos from the convention.

Regards,

Shailesh

Project X Retro (circa 1995!)

Oracle Introduces Workgroup/2000
In January, Oracle Corp. (Redwood Shores, Calif.) Founder and CEO Larry Ellison debuted Workgroup/2000, a product family composed of new desktop and workgroup versions of the Oracle7 database, middleware, development tools, and connectivity software. Workgroup/2000 includes: Personal Oracle7, a standalone subset of the Oracle7 enterprise database server; Oracle7 Workgroup Server, a database designed for workgroups and departments; Oracle Power Objects (a.k.a. Project X ), an application development environment; Oracle Objects for OLE, a middleware facility that enables Visual Basic, C++, and OLE-enabled applications to access Oracle7 data; and Oracle Radio Agents, a client-side API that shields developers from multiple communications protocols.

According to Ellison, these products provide users with a database and development solution that is now scalable from the desktop to the enterprise. And Oracle Power Objects throws the company directly into the ring against Sybase/Powersoft, its main competitor.

All Workgroup/2000 products can be downloaded from Oracle's World Wide Web Server (http://www.oracle.com) for a free trial period or purchase. (However, some disgruntled Internet users say that the downloading process is excruciatingly slow.)

Wrong "Star"...

It's a metaphor for the war between Oracle/SAP/Microsoft...

Kneel before the force of Fusion...

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong "Star"...

It's a metaphor for the war between Oracle/SAP/Microsoft...

Kneel before the force of Fusion...

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's the rebel alliance? TommorowNow/SAP? Is Bill Gates the Jedi master? “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to Fusion.”

My official guess is going to be this:

Oracle Unbreakable Linux bundled with pre-installed and configured Oracle Fusion Middleware, e.g. Oracle Application Server Java Edition, Oracle Database Standard Edition, XML Publisher, Oracle JDev, etc.,

This would all be in a "plug and play" configuration, ready for the customer to "drop in" a "Rapid Start" edition of Oracle e-Business Suite, PeopleSoft Enterprise or JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. Could be bundled with hardware or provided as a "golden image" DVD ISO available for download on the Oracle website.

I think you're probably right. But c'mon - Project X?

X-tra bloatware ? X-tra vaporware ? X-tra maintenance ?

Back