Full Package & Update Package

Gov

Hi,

Can we add a new Object to Update Package, which was not included in the full package?

In Detail:

I have requested my CNC to include a new object into package. He included this object in a Update Package and sent it over to all the clients. After accepting the package, we found that this object specifications are not reflected on all the clients even though they accepted the update Package. I thought this is the problem with update package. I guess the object must have been added to full package, prior to update package. Am I correct? If not can you correct me where exactly the problem is comming

Hi,

Yes, you can add a new object to the update package, even
if that object wasn't present at the time of the full
parent was built.
From what you tell, I'd rather say that the update
package wasn't deployed everywhere.
Sometimes update package installation fails (whether
push or pull), nothing is updated and users keep working
without noticing that they're still on the old package.

That's a painful issue, specially if you have tons of
Fat clients.

Life is much easier on Citrix/WTS farms where you deploy
manually the package to a limited number of servers and
you can control if the package was actually installed.

I would also check the OMW logs as well, even though this is a new object. You want to make sure the object transfered to PD ok. If everything looks ok, you will will want to do a Full.

What type of object were you trying to build ? If it was a Business Function - make sure it was compiled prior to being checked in to ensure that the header was created.

You really need to check the logs first though. Something obviously didn't build.

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your input. We will try it manually and will check the results.

Hi John,

The update Package includes only reports and tables. No BSFN were included. Any ways I will check the logs this time while doing it manually.

Back