lisaheise

What are all of the JD Edwards Versions? This is what I have so far:
EnterpriseOne
Xe
B73.3.1

World
A8.1
A7.3

And what is the difference between EnterpriseOne, World and WorldOne?

Thanks,
Lisa

You're kidding, right ?

ok - going backwards from the current version :

8.0 (Xe.1 or B7334)
Xe (or B7333 - first release with OMW, last coexist with A73)
B7332
B7331 (first generally accepted stable release)
B733 (last Visual C 5.0 release)
B7322
B7321 (first release for Citrix support)
B732 (first true release with distribution)
B7312
B7311R (remastered B7311 because of CD issues)
B7311
B731 (first true release with financials)
B7141 (Beta 2 with bugfixes, last coexist A71))
B714 (Beta 2)
B713 (Beta 1, Last Windows NT3.51 support)
B7A2 (Alpha 2)

This doesn't include the ASU updates (8 for Xe for example, which actually gets Xe pretty up to date) nor does it include the service packs, which Xe has 23 major service packs (and hundreds of "one-offs").

If you were going to describe your version, it should be in the following format :

B7333XU7SP23Q1 - ie, Xe with Update 7, SP23 and Q1 Oneoff - thats pretty much the best way to describe your version.

For the newer versions - I like the following format :

B810XU1SP895E1 - its the same number of letters as the earlier version and it tells me you're on 8.10 with Update 1, Service Pack 8.95 with E1 one-off !

8.9 should be "B809" - that'd be the best way to identify the version.

World = The Greenscreen AS/400 product, written in RPG and only works on an AS/400

OneWorld = a C based client-server product written to be platform and database independent utilizing "configurable network computing" - an architecture blueprint first described in the Wall Street Journal in 1996

EnterpriseOne = OneWorld. When Peoplesoft bought J.D. Edwards in 2003, they changed the name of the product to "EnterpriseOne" to distinguish it as being different from "Peoplesoft Enterprise" (their native product) and "Peoplesoft EnterpriseWorld" (the world product). When Oracle bought Peoplesoft, they then changed the name of the products to "J.D. Edwards EnterpriseOne" and "J.D. Edwards Enterprise World". Some people refer to Xe and 8.0 as "OneWorld" and 8.9 and above as "EnterpriseOne" but that really isn't correct since the technical foundation is similar !

As for World Versions - working backwards (major releases only, and I'm going to get some of these wrong too):

A9.0 (the newest version - just recently announced)
A8.1 (not co-existant with OneWorld)
A7.3 (lots and lots of stability and cums for this)
A7.2 (never released I don't believe)
A7.1 (coexistant with the first OneWorld releases)

Prior to A7.1 - "World" was actually just called "J.D. Edwards Software" with a version number. The "World" moniker came out after OneWorld was released internally to differentiate it. At one point, JDE was considering calling it "JDE Classic" - but too many people felt that it would end up like coke, where people loved the "original classic" formula and didn't move to the "new weird" formula !

This is a good historical description Altquark. Have you thought about adding this to Wikipedia or something. I remember scanning Wikipedia a little while back on JD Edwards, and it had a better description than its current one. Your paragraph above is even a better description of the product !

I've only ever worked with B7331/2/3 or Xe. I didn't realise it has such a strong product history. All I know is that it has a strong tie with the manufacturing sector.

Actually, from a functional perspective, there are some "traditional" and recent strong industry verticals that JDE has some dominance in.

Oil and Chemical, for example - is a very strong sector for JDE - and Oneworld has "Energy and Chemical Systems (ECS)" modules specifically for these industries. If you ever wondered why P4210 did a "check temperature" business function - now you know !

Homebuilders are a more recent strong industry for JDE - especially after Real Foundations took on JDE Oneworld and pushed it to many of their customers.

Pharma Distributors also seem to be a strong industry as well - JDE provides a lot of regulatory compliance for this industry.

There are probably others as well.

Another little "nugget" that I use to demonstrate how JDE has supported certain functionality is as follows :

Obviously the "B" means OneWorld, and the next two numbers are the data-set compatibility (for co-existance) - so "B71x" supports A7.1 World and B73x is co-existant with A73 World.

The following number, in my little system, shows how well a certain type of functionality was supported. For example :

B714 - Address Book works (but very little else)
B731x - Financials Work
B732x - Distribution Works
B733x - Manufacturing works

Therefore, B7333 (Xe) meant that most customers could run their business, since Financials, Distribution AND Manufacturing all worked at that stage.

B89x - HR and Payroll works

I know there are "niche" functional products that become introduced - but realistically, I find the major functionality only viable at certain versions. For example, HR/Payroll isn't very stable under Xe - but is much better under 8.9x or higher (after Peoplesoft purchased JDE !) - and don't try and implement inventory under B731, its NOT good at that level !

It'd be interesting to hear a functional Oneworld consultant also reflect on these observations !

Here's a few more older World releases that I can remember:

A6.1
A6.0 - A LOT of issues. Ed moved back to VP of Development
A5.3 - Maybe more, I can't remember
A5.2
A5.1
A5 - First AS-400 Version
F4
F3.1
F3 - A LOT of issues. Ed moved back to VP of Development, former President. First System38
E2 - System36

Back