Way to upgrade Windows 2000 to 2003 from ORACLE

André Hébert

I log a call in Denver to know if anything special i must to to perform an upgrade of windows 2000 to 2003 with ERP8 sp22 and sql 2000 on enterprise...
here is the answer from DENVER

In general:
Back up Pathcode (no problem)
Registries too (why)
Whatever is under Programs also (really)
Apply 2003 (good)
Apply Visual studio again (ok)
Install Platform pack again (?)
Restore over directory (hummm really)
Restore Registries (WAIT A SECOND)

Restore w2k Registries to w2k server This is dumb !!!
i will not do that !!!!!

What yall think !!!!

Hi,

If my memory doesn't fail, you need SP23 something
to support ERP8 on Windows 2003.
On the other hand, I strongly recommend you to go with
a clean reformat/reinstall instead of upgrading.

Bonjoir Andre,

I agree with mon ami Sebastion. The first step of an Operating System upgrade is to reformat the server and start with a fresh Operating System. Make sure that you have all of the correct drivers for Win 2003 for your hardware.

The comment about restoring a Win 2000 registry to Win 2003 is just plain dumb. Whoever the tech from Denver was, they gave you bad advice.

Au revoir,

Gregg

You only need SP23 if you are upgrading to W2003 with a service pack applied, SP22 is OK for base W2003.

Yes - I was about to say that - SP22 is fine on W2K3.

As for the registry comment - I think they are asking you to back up the JDE and ODBC registries and then restore them to the new machine, which isn't a big deal.

However - I also agree, I would NEVER perform an upgrade - I'd do a fresh install and reinstall the platform pack from scratch as a new app server. Build a full package and deploy it - and maybe run the old server in the environment for a couple of weeks "just in case".

Salut Andre,

I agree with Jon. The Registry comment - back up the JDE and ODBC registries and then restore them to the new machine, which isn't a big deal.

During one of our OS upgrades, when we restored the registries, we had to go and change the registry entries manually (REGEDIT) to point to WINDOWS folder from WINNT folder. I am not sure whether it was from WINNT to Windows 2000 or Windows 2003.

You have to backup only ODBC and EO registry entries.

Back