Archiving project

corkyj

We are in the process of reviewing software packages for archiving our JDE data. We are looking for solutions that not only do archiving but also subsetting (copying a subset of the production data to the development environments) and datamasking. The solutions we are currently reviewing are ArcTools/EM from DCSoftware and Whitehouse Consultants, Optim from Princeton Softech, and ARCHIVEjinni from Solix. Princeton Softech and ArcTools both have been in the JDE business for many years but the tools seem antiquated. Anyone heard of or better yet used Solix?

I am in the same process of looking out for an archiving solution for E1 Xe. Thats no help to you. But ....
I would like to hear about your preferred solution or what you find. I was just investigating Princeton Softech's Optim.
thanks
devki
DB2/400 OW Xe

Devki,
ArcTools specializes in the 400 platform and they've been doing it for a long time. Their newer release ArcTools/EM is designed with the same principles but it's for the other platforms and Whitehouse Consulting did most of the development on the product. Solid product for archiving.

Princeton Softech's Optim has been the preferred product for several years now for non-400 shops. Specifically, companies that are sticking with the XE release of JDE, seem to be using Optim the most. This is a solid product for archiving especially for pre-8.9/non-AS400 shops.

ArchiveJinni from Solix has a lot of bells and whistles and is predominantly used for Oracle E-Business product. They support all the major ERP products including EnterpriseOne. They have the data models for E1 and a nice interface with many tools available.

We are still going through our project to rate/score each of these products according to our needs, but all the demo's were good.

Corky,

We are in the middle of our second archiving project using Optim from Princeton Softech. We are a Wintel shop using SQL server. Our version is XE. Our South American subsidiary is also doing a purge project with Optim. They are also on XE, but are a Unix/Oracle shop. I am happy with the tool.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

Thanks a million for the feedback.
Let me know what your pick.

thanks
devki

Gregg,
Thanks for your reply. I'm curious, do you use Princeton Softech for anything other than true archiving? The reason I ask is, one of our big concerns currently is the amount of data that has to be copied from production to each of our test instances. Getting a complete copy of production is beneficial sometimes, but more often than not, it's overkill for testing purposes. Princeton says they can do it, do you use this feature of the software?

Corky,

No, we do not currently use that add-on piece of functionality. The Princeton tool to do that can bring in data and refresh a test database. They can also do some data conversions and/or data aging within the tool. We did not purchase that piece.

We are currently beta testing a product called PurgeIT from Klik-IT Ltd (www.klik-it.co.uk) over both Xe and E8.11. PurgeIT is a fully integrated OneWorld/E1 set of applications that purge and archive transactional data - we are testing GL,AR & AP with more modules to follow. Before any data is purged/archived it is validated against existing data thus GL transctions can't be purged if the associated AP transactions exist and so on. All the modules therefore contain v.detailed validation thus data integrity is maintained. Once purge/archived the archive data can be accessed via supplied OneWorld applications in its entirety - we have an archive environment on a seperate server - and are looking at incorporating the archive applications further into 'Power User' roles for outstanding enquiry purposes.
Overall we are v.impressed with PurgeIT and would recommend it to anyone for put simply it won't allow you to purge/archive anything you shouldn't. The same can't be said for other solutions we have looked at.

Hope this Helps!

well, now with Optim you can archive data from AS/400 and /or from any module and / or you can archive data from the latest release 8.12.

thanks

Back