Transaction Isolation Level

Ben Holcombe

I have a question about how reports in JD Edwards handle locking. Do you have control over the isolation level from within a report or is that set at a global level in the application? What would happen to a report that encountered a locked record would it eventually time out without an error and continue compiling or would it error and terminate. I have a report that has returned two different result sets within a 15 min time frame and I know the data did not change.

E8.0-SP22;SQL 2000-SP4

How do you know that the data did not change? Obviously something did.

In answer to your question you have no control over isolation level / read locking at the application/UBE level.

I received confirmation from the Accountant that the period had not been opened and that a business unit had not been moved between companies. Then I double checked by restoring the previous nights backup. I checked the F0902 and the F0911 tables for the record count grouped by ledger type and the summary of the amounts and they matched. I can still do a point in time restore right up to the point that the first report was run and then restore again just after the second report run but I did not see the point. I am much more of a SQL than a JDE guy but I was under the impression that it was impossible to delete a journal entry from the application. If my logic is correct even if someone had altered something in the general ledger it would have increased the record count for the period.

The only thing I can think of is something to do with a dirty read of data due to contention in the database. I am not sure if you can manage the isolation level and if you can where it is done. I have not worked with the business views much but was unsure if you could set it there. I know its not quite like writing a direct SQL query.

Knowing that I can't change the isolation level in a query what would happen if my report hit a deadlocked record. Would the query hit a timeout and then error out or continue processing?

If my primary table is not one of my tables in question but rather a join to the table could a deadlock cause the record to be ignored and not error out the report?

Back