Top 10 CNC tips

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Last week, we had fun with CNC interview questions - now a new topic. Assume you have just hired a new CNC with little to no experience. Someone that you will train and develop. What are your top ten things that a new CNC HAS to learn?

Gregg

Hi,

My list would include :

1. Create/modify/delete users
2. Printer administration
3. Password resetting
4. Assembly, build and deploy packages
5. Bounce JDE services and JAS instances
6. OMW basics (promoting projects, versions, checkins)
7. Setting and retrieving Logs
8. Backup (tables and objects)
9. Basic understanding of OCM, UTB and datasources
10. How to place a call at Denver!

cool
i know

and sebastian (i am not who you think i am)

1. How to be humble
2. How to use a phone
3. How to sound like a human
4. How to make themselves AND the technology invisible
5. How not to piss off the users
6. How to think before they leap
7. How to Test
8. How to use email
9. HOW TO USE THE CAPSLOCK KEY
10. How to swear correctly

smile.gif

By the way - I think I only pass about 3 out of my list of 10 (!) I do know how to use the capslock key...MOST OF THE TIME.

Hi Jon,

Good list... it will definitely help to enhance
communication between both species : humans and CNCoids.

Kind of reminds me of my first day at JDE in 1989. I asked Mike Heber for a
manual for the keyboard, since I couldn't make it work. Fortunately, it was
all uphill from there!

Andy

Re: RE: Top 10 CNC tips

My tip to all new CNCs would be, save for a replacement liver. After a long Friday night/Saturday morning PD build my favorite thing to do is punish my liver. Thank God for beer.

The #1 thing that I tell people that they need to work on is the terminology. Definitions, definitions, definitions!

With all the goofy terms and acronyms we throw around I think those are the greatest barrier to entering the CNC profession.

CNC
OMW
OCM
Pathcode
Environment
Package
JAS
WAS
OAS
Deployment Server
Enterprise Server
Application/Logic Server
DD
UO
NN

It’s like a whole new language.

Don't forget TLA -

Three Letter Acronyms !

Actually, JDE (!) had a policy of trying to eliminate TLA's (!) from the company when I joined them in 1996 - it didn't last long as you can imagine when OW and CNC came along.

1. Have a backout plan.
2. Understand how OCMs work in the wonderful world of web
3. Implement Save locations or have a backout plan
4. Get changes signed off by somebody who matters
5. Learn which UBEs can be terminated and which can't
6. Manage your queues
7. Watch your disk space
8. never, ever, ever assume
9. www.jdelist.com (obviously)
10. don't be surprised if you discover something nobody else has realised yet

Hi sebastian,
I know only the first three in your list.
So how can learn the rest.
I am a new to CNC and my trainer is busy with upgrading to jd edwards 8.12, they passed me an administration manual and they assigned me CNCAdmin Role in a testing environment, and they left a lone to learn by myself.
plz advice

Serious,

Have them send you to the foundation classes. This is not a "learn on your own" application. At minimum, take the five day System Administration class. There are a lot more classes, but that one is very important. There are two versions of the class, one that includes the CNC foundation, and one that assumes you know that material already. If you are new to CNC, I would recommend having your company budget for at least three or four of the five day classes to get you up to speed as a beginner.

Gregg

Hi Gregg,
Thanks a lot for your advice,
They gave me again another document for CNC foundation EnterpriseOne 8.94 to learn it by my own. Regarding training, my senior CNC Admin told me, he'll train me but case by case coz he is busy with upgrading and he just finish testing phase. He asked me to do my best in some adiminstration staff such creating user, roles, and so on. So I totally lost about what will be my next step.

perhaps its time to either ask your bosses boss for an explanation on how you intend to be trained, or perhaps you should look for another career ? Seriously, I'm unsure why you continuously hijack threads and whine about something that is, realistically, in your control and is nothing to do with the lists or the threads you hijack.

Either read the manual and understand, or go on training, or go and look for another career. You've been told three times and you have asked three times. Three strikes - you're out...

Hi,
I am sorry for interrupting. I was looking for suggestions. Now it is clear.I will follow one of the options that u mentioned.
Thank you

Different people, different approaches, and different companies, different culture. Some company might not send you for training, training is not its culture, you have to pick up the skills on your own. Some company might send you for training, then you're lucky.

But at the end, it is still up to yourself. Training might not help if you don't have the 'passion' for what you're working on.

Back