Performance Management

sureshv

Hi,
We are in the early part of an E1 8.12 implementation. We have had the infrastructure, and associated JDE environments setup for about a month now. The DV and PY environments have been loaded with the data from a sister company that implemented JDE about 18 months ago.
Some of project team are users from a small part of the organisation that had JDE ERP8 (deployed via Citrix and fat clients), and they are complaining bitterly about the performance of the new system.
There are several layers to this:
- the database performance was hopeless (Oracle 10 on Windows), but is better now.
- the network (which is outside the management of anyone in the project team) I think may have intermittent issues.
- I think that there may be some issues with adjusting to the new interface from the users that have experience with the ERP8 fat client.
- No one has really looked at any performance tuning of the webservers yet (we are running the "red stack").

My question is this - can anyone point me at any test scripts, or methodologies, that will allow me to start "peeling the onion" and start isolating which components (network, webservers, app servers, db servers) have performance problems (if any). Also, I have been told that 8.12 web client is very reliant on the quality of the client box that is running the web browser - is this so?

many thanks

SV

The usual logical approach is to first find out which resources are used on which machines - DB, Enterprise, JAS Servers and the Client (yes, IE can be struggling to run JDE on slower PC's). It's worth looking at CPU, Memory, Disk and Network on all of them at the same time. Anything suspiciously high can be a bottleneck. There can be (and usually are) multiple bottlenecks in play at different stages of the same operation, or for different operations.

If the bottneck is obvious, then you are already on the right track, if not... ;-)

E1 Transaction Server and "Performance Monitor" application may help you isolate web client bottlenecks, as well as where the hold up is on the Enterprise Server. This has been supported since the 8.10 release. Expect to load data from a MSDE attached database file if you run into problems accessing the 'snoop' web pages.

This isn't a simple installation, so I recommend you allocate a good bit of time familiarizing yourself with the documentation and Tools prior to attempting the installation and configuration.

Back